Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So whats up in the SE region

Discussion in 'Southeast Region' started by clarkjw24, Jun 6, 2005.

1. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I hate I missed the last uwharrie run. Time and money are my limited wheeling factors right now.

I've once again got driveline issues. I need to spend the money on some h.a.d s but I'm trying to hold off until I get the doubler and axle locations done. I can't keep the front cv shaft going more than a few wheeling trips. Need to find some 2x3 tubing to make some sliders. I'm also playing with some new bumpers like those 4x4 iron use to make. Still need to setup my tubing bender and learn to bend. I really need to do something about getting some beadlocks too. I've got 3 york compressors and tanks but haven't got around to doing the onboard air yet.

Also finally got my 87 K5 street reliable. I put an old TH350/NP205 combo in it. I hated to loose the overdrive and low gear but for a dd its no big lose. I only drive 6 miles round trip 4 times a week to work.

I picked up a free 86 comanche a few months ago. After replacing the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder, I realize that it needs a new pressure plate, clutch and release bearing. So thats on my list of things to fix. I don't know if I'm going to keep it or sell it when I get it done. Its good on gas but I don't know if it would be worth it for the miles I drive to put insurance and tags on it.

Been working on a friends cj. We put a new motor in it and I converted the dissy to a chevy hei. This is really my first experience with Jeeps. Not sure if I like them or not. Cool to look at, but not as cool as seeing a fullsize roll down the trails.

Last on my list is the 1 ton 4x4 dually. We've got a 88 1500 extended cab on a 79 1 ton dually frame. Hoping to put a FI 454 in it. This is going to be a major project. We've got the body on but I'm already seeing a few issues. Its got the sm465/np205 in it.

So whats going on with the rest of you? What mods are you working on? Whose planning some more trips?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Friggin' hot and humid. I gotta get that loan and get my A/C equipped garage built. Trying to do a remote solenoid and replace the fusible links with 80 Amp fuse, then swap the dual battery/isolator and front to rear winch wiring from the '73 to the '75. Work fifteen minutes and I can't see for the sweat dripping off my forehead. Had to work on the wife's '73 K-10 every day I've had off almost. Then I'm gonna swap over the fuel tank skid plate off the '86 K-5 and maybe the tank too. I wanna get that 700R4 outa it for the '75 too sometime.
    Gotta get the Citizenship stuff done for my wife in the next couple of weeks.
    Good time at Uwharrie, dodged the roughest chit though. Worrisome grinding from the front drive-shaft CV rubbin' the cross-member. Little torque and she made awful noises. I'm so lame with remembering names, Bushwaker is the only one I can remember outa the CK-5 members that showed up. Only reason I can remember his so well was his vanity plate with "BUSHWAKER" on it in front of us all day!

Shot some video there but haven't found a host yet.

Wife and I are going back up to Andrews next week and do some canoeing, fishing, ride the Harley a bit and Tellico too. Busy week off next week! Kids are in England right now for a couple of weeks!!!

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I;m taking pennicillin sp? for the next week to get over strep throat, what a PITA, as far as the truck goes im still aquiring parts, so far i have another front shaft machine shop got it to the right lenght, rear shaft is on the way now, also got a 30 spline stub for the 60, i have another one found just need to send the money (getting sick was rough) i want to find another sector shaft in case something happens to the steering, after that i may look for the long shafts but its tough to find any for the dodge 60 because they are shorter than the chevys. Then just the usual stuff like a new serpintine belt rad. hoses get a "John like" box to put it all in.

4. dontoe

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

What?? You dont even remember I was there? :rotfl: Its fine, I dont remember you either!
    Did you get video of me and bushwacker at kodak? There is a post in the garage from a guy offering a free site for ck5 members to host photos and videos and whatever. You can probably host it there.
    Heres the link to his post:
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140368
    I want to see if you got any good video of me. I forgot to bring my camera again so I didnt get any pics from kodak even though I could have gotten a bunch of good ones of those buggies.
    -Harrison

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Well, Uwharrie was fun. I expected it to be muddy but it wasnt really that bad. We ran falls dam, dutch john, and rocky mountain loop. None of the trails were very difficult. Dutch John has a nice hill climb, and kodak is always fun. Bushwacker and I attempted the "pre kodak rock" rock. The big rock right before kodak. Bushwacker made it up but I didnt. I drug my t-case on the rock a bit (lucky I have a skid) Then ended up stuck quite badly because I havent shaved the lip of the 14ff yet and it just wouldnt slide over the rock no matter how hard I got on it. Hell, I was on it, and bushwacker had the starp on me and he was on it and I couldnt slide up over it untill we stacked some rocks under my tires. If it hadnt of been for that dang lip, I would have made it fine.

Anyways, the truck is a work in progress. Currently its still my dd (for about 1 or 2 more weeks), so I have the most street driven look. I want it to be more hardcore, but cant yet. Im thinking I have some serious weight issues. My plans for it in the future include no top no doors permanently. I want to go with what bushwacker did and scrap the bed except for the sides, then narrow the rear. That plus no doors should cut down on the weight. I just orderd a performer intake for it. I am ordering a set of headers in a week or two, and a new chip from cfm-tech to go with that. That, along with the cfm-tech fuel injection upgrades I already have, should put me somewhere around 300 hp and 375 lb/ft. Other than that, just some dents and scratches are planned for it.
    Im also in the progress of working on getting my other truck on the road to save on gas. Its an 85 nissan/datsun pickup with a 2.4 liter 4cyl and a 5-speed manual with 2wd. My grandparents gave it to me for free as long as I got it running. They lost the title, and just found it last week, so I just got it transferred into my name on friday. I still need to get and inspection, tags, register it, pay taxes on it, and get it insured. It also needs some work. It needs a new fuel pump for it to run. I ordered it from napa for the tune of $65 yesterday, and it wont be in untill thursday. Once I get that on, it needs an oil change, and a radiator flush then its good to go. The sooner the better, because gas is really killing me, plus I am ready to go more hardcore with the blazer.

Elliotts truck is starting to come together again finally. We went out yesterday, and took all the crap off his old motor and swapped it on the new one. Well its not new, but its new to him. We dont know if its a 350 or 305, but hes just ready to get anything in there to get it running again. We still need to get the carb on ther, and a few things on the front of the engine, but its almost ready to be put in. He is hoping to get it in and running before the weekend, and we may take a day trip to uwharrie on saturday if all goes well with the engine. After he copletes that, I think he wants to make a homebrew shackle flip for the rear using stock front shackles. Then he wants to weld the 14ff and throw on some new tires to wheel with. Hes moving to wilmington in about 3 weeks so he has very little time to accomplish this. He will probably just end up putting the motor in and calling it good and wheeling it till it blows up. (He bought the motor for $200, so it is no big deal if it blows. He doesnt expect it to last long, and its wont get driven except for wheeling anyways).

Well thats about it. I enjoyed wheeling with you all at uwharrie last weekend, and clay brough along an awesome spotter with him. I hope to see some of yall out on the trails again soon!
    -Harrison

7. dontoe

Sorry, man. I only heard ya name once and names are one of my handicaps. What's the guy's name in the S-10? He did well in a stock truck. Yea, got some good video. I posted some stills extracted from it. Naw, he only hosts photo's. (I think I was wrong here!) If I don't get it posted anywhere, I'll try to burn ya a copy and mail it to ya and Bushwaker. Harrison right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'll post 'em again. I forgot to get my truck though, anyone get mine?

Donald

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  8. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Great time at URE with Harrison and Dontoe and the guy with the S-10! Glad nobody broke anything. Trails were awesome with no dust and not very muddy which is surprising with a whole week of rain on it! We need to do another run like this again real soon, and maybe more folks can make the next one.

Clay

9. dontoe

More photo's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Put dual battery set up in.
    Finished rear drive shaft 1410 :cool1:
    May order the front his week :D
    Everything else is good to go.

What would I like to add
    Th400 low gear set
    Dual electric fans

11. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hmmmm, lets see I can think of 2 things that are up, airplanes and well hard ****s. (Sorry common answer when someone asks me whats up at work.)

Not much really. work is keeping me really busy right now. 12+ hour days are short work days for me right now. Plus going through some personal issues so work is consuming me almost every day of the week to keep my mind off everything else. Wish I could get out and wheel sometime soon but is looking very meek until later in the year. have to find a place to keep my truck while I am gone, looks like it will be going to tennessee right now. Have had thoughts about stripping it down and parting it out and putting all the money into the XJ, but again these are thoughts. Would help me cover alot of bills though.

12. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

The Ultimate Answer

The ultimate answer to every question; Bend over and I will show you.

i'm new here, so i should first probably say something nice and friendly but i dont like most people, so i wont.
    I'm from knoxville and own too many cars to list. (although some of my CARS are 4x4 w/air lockers, stock....)
    I sell comm/industrial construction supplies(kinda like snap-on for construction). You never know how nice it is to have a bolt distributor 10ft from your lift... :cool1:

I'm an intake & exhaust from getting my 89 3/4 sub running so maybe i can start hitting coal creek again :D

anybody down to ride up here? maybe end of aug?

if any of you guys ever need power tools, nuts, bolts(gr2,5,8,A490,s/s,316,440,etc, #4-40 to 1 1/4-7), washers, abrasives, saw blades, etc. hit me up. cash/trade too :deal:

13. dontoe

14. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Newbie with a wrench

I just got the last parts to do the Rear Disc Conversion on my 79K5. I should be able to rebuild my Caddy calipers this week. I should be able to install them next week end if it does not rain again.

I am trying to decide if I want to use the Hydroboost unit I have or find another one. This one is from a '78 which makes it a SAE and engine is a '94 7.4L which is metric. Using this one would mean custom lines from the pump to the unit. That would not be a real issue but if any thing ever happens it would be a pain to have to replace.

The parts truck I am pulling the front clip off of is about cleaned out. There are almost nothing usable (for me) left on it. Just part of the cab, the frame, and the axles. Stripping this thing down in a Storage unit has really sucked. No power, no lights and only 10 foot wide in the storage unit. Living in a condo has about made me find another hobby, like basket weaving. John I really envy you that nice shop you have.

Last but not least I have the Cherokee Steering shaft to install. Hopefully this well improve my steering. You know for not really having a clue when I started things are coming together nicely.

Matt Tedder

15. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Put down the pipe, look into the mirror and admit you have a problem.

Just say NO!!