Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So who else is anti narrowed body???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Corey 78K5, May 20, 2004.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I know it isn't just Me who is not a fan of the narrowed body look. I just dig the whole fullsize ideal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    So let the bashing begin /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I like the narrowed look and function /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Don't get Me wrong if one wants to use a milk crate for a body then more power to them. I just wanted to know how many others like their trucks stock width.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Probaly the same people who are against fender trimming... soon enough someone will pipe up and tell you so you're not alone

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I'm not a particular fan of narrowed-bodied fullsizes. If I wanted a narrow body, I'd wheel my Yota. But then again, some folks do a real sweet job on their narrowed bodies, and I can definitely appreciate the fab work and unique-ness of some of the cooler looking narrowed trucks. I wouldn't do it to mine, but I'm always down to see and admire what someone else has done to change their trucks performance or trail-ability.

6. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

i love my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif the main reason is it's so big that is why i wanted a K5 in the first place.

yeah the function and and all does make sense to me but it makes more sense to me to start with a smaller bodier rig in the first place like a yota FJ40, a sammi, or even dare i say a heep mangler.

7. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I think it looks pretty damn cool. You get all the leg room you need and narrowed fenders so you don't have to rip em up on the rocks. If it's done nice it is quite appealing to the eye I think. Granted I wouldn't attempt to drive it down the road even for a mile.

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Probaly the same people who are against fender trimming...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Totally diffrent subject. I trimmed the hell out of My finders /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I think it looks cool and after riding in Watson's rig, it's really cool.

But if I ever build a geriatric rig, it's gonna be a Toy.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Oh, my mistake /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I would do it to mine if I could make it look noce. Some people on here have done AWSOME jobs. If I could do it like that I would otherwise Id have to pass. Which probably means Ill have to pass cause I suck /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Nick

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think it looks cool on other people's rigs and is very functional, but I can never see myself doing that to my truck. I would like for it to resemble an actual truck as much as possible. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I don't mind some fender trimming, but personally don't care for the narrowed deal. Just doesn't look right.

My opinion is if your going to put that much work into the body, then just go all the way and truggy it out.

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, I just don't understand all this cutting and stuff. I think the general made it just how it ought to be and who are we to change it? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

See, it's just a matter of degrees. Some guys just can't stand the "trimmed" fenders. There was a post not too long ago where a few dozen people were whining about all the "hacking" and saying "if the tires don't fit, just raise it higher". On the other extreme end of the scale, you have people like me who see most any truck as nothing more than a starting point or source of parts. I have no concern for image or "keeping it looking like a GM (or Ford or take you pick). Now start talking about GTOs and I'll be crying like the rest about people stripping and tubbing for drag cars or "pro street" toys with big slicks and Ford 9” and so on... It's all about goals and what you find aesthetically pleasing as well as what off-road opportunities are available in your area (and what you can afford). Hehe, I would like to see some of the “just raise it higher” and “How can I get 12” of lift” crowd spend some time wheeling with us in AZ… /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif If I had money and more time (or younger with more energy) I would have something more like Brandon or Stephen (or any of countless other examples) but I have a fairly tight budget (and resources) relative to those guys.

15. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

I think that if you are doing the type of wheeling that requires a narrowing cause you keep finding yourself bashing your fenders into rock, trees, houses, other peoples rigs or whatever, than its a good idea. But if you have straight, unmollested body pannels to start with, and you never seem to dent em up, then there is no reason to do it. I, personally, am all about function and ergonomics. If is needs it, and would help its purpose: do it. If not, wait till it does. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think that if you are doing the type of wheeling that requires a narrowing cause you keep finding yourself bashing your fenders into rock, trees, houses, other peoples rigs or whatever, than its a good idea. But if you have straight, unmollested body pannels to start with, and you never seem to dent em up, then there is no reason to do it. I, personally, am all about function and ergonomics. If is needs it, and would help its purpose: do it. If not, wait till it does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I, second that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I loved my fullsize body, but cant go on very many hard trails out here without destroying the truck, the trails are just too narrow.

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

To each there own. Wanna buy a 75? it doesn't fit where I want to go anymore without a lot of really loud noises. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It's narrow or sell and looks like I'm selling. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

I'm looking to buy a stock 75 to enjoy on the street and buiding something small for the trails that will fit where I want to go without coming out the other end totaly destroyed. I thought about dropping the 84 4runner body on my 75 frame. The wheel base is close enough to do it. but the BS with the emissons is not worth the hassle. It would look cool though!

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

narrowed or tapered?

tapering it still leaves the body the same width
    narrowing it still leaves the axles full width

if you need a buggy, build a buggy
    or buy a 4x4 quad
    I need a truck

a lot of extremely nice K5s on this site have been destroyed by hacking the body

19. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I love the truggys, and I love the narrowed look, but for MY Blazer, I'd never do it. I trimmed my fenders (function before form), might trim some more when I go to 35s, but my kind of wheelin just doesn't require all that work, and since I can't do it myself, it would cost too much. The Blazer is just too bad-ass looking to turn into Mad Max's truggy anyway. If you ask me, Steves truck is where it's at. It'll be a truggy by this time next year though I bet /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

its not my opinion... but Im pro fendertrim/narrowing and anti-2nd gen roof chop.

j