Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So... who expects to have thier truck done

Discussion in 'New England Region' started by thefarside, Apr 2, 2004.

1. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

Who expects to have thier truck done in late July to min August?
    Not me saidly /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    But might be done enough to drive to a get together. LOL

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I bought the new K5, that way I can do stuff in bits and pieces. Put my lift on, 1 tons, motor, trans, and romp it for a little bit. Should be done within a month of getting it, if the guy ever gets back to me.

3. tweek

tweek 1/2 ton status

my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif in its present state, should be done by the end of the month /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif the real question is......

are they ever done /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. buddiesel

buddiesel Registered Member

Mine was pretty much all set after the winter till I got it stuck in a river last weekend. I don't know how to post pics but you can see it at http://www.benswebs.com/k5/k5-9.jpg
    Got the truck out but had to tow it home, I think the engine is fine just have some electrical issures to sort out this weekend.

5. thefarside

[ QUOTE ]
    my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif in its present state, should be done by the end of the month /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif the real question is......

are they ever done /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me clearify, how about rolling under it's own power and enough hardware/electrical to be legally driven in any state. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. thefarside

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine was pretty much all set after the winter till I got it stuck in a river last weekend. I don't know how to post pics but you can see it at http://www.benswebs.com/k5/k5-9.jpg
    Got the truck out but had to tow it home, I think the engine is fine just have some electrical issures to sort out this weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, that is not the most flattering pic of your truck then agaon mine has no floor so I can't really speak either... so I digress. LOL

7. widowmaker

widowmaker Registered Member

well if all goes well and it stops raining and i rob keeps on my ass i should have mine back together by the end of may at the latest, and ready for wheelin /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I will be in Mass. June and July ONLY... Soooooo there better be a meet and greet or a trail run planned. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Also... If anyone rides Jet Ski's let's go on a "lake run?" Ha, the more the merrier. Basically I will be working on my truck and jet skiing for two months... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Thats pretty deep in there! But not deep enough that I would think that the engine should have stalled?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

10. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I'm hoping to be driving my rig within a month. But that's wishfull thinking since my money tree landed on my tool shed last year and crushed my riding lawnmower /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I'm hoping to get some people together this summer for a small wheeling trip in Mass. I had planned on it last fall but snow stopped the festivities.

11. tweek

tweek 1/2 ton status

again, whats your definition of legal...... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

a guy on my hockey team is a New York State Trooper, and after seeing my k5 for the first time read me off a list of offenses...... /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif
    no mud flaps /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    bumpers higher than 18" off the ground /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    and an expired inspection sticker /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

but i did drive the truck 150 miles today to finish up some cage work /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

damn that truck is fun!!

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hahahaha yeah well I'm not looking forward to the first time I talk to a cop about my new K5. I remember when I fabbed my bumper for the old one and just with the 33s and 4" of lift I was well over legal bumper height, add the 6" front lift and 40s it will now have /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, I don't "wheel" with it per say, but my pulling truck should almost be finished.

1980 K20
    Frame de-rivetted, clean, sanded, painted, and bolted back together. Custom interior, Built SBC 400, 700R4 (yeah I know, waiting for my 4L80), 14FF with 1 ton drums, 10 bolt front (Dana 60 waiting for locker and will be put in hopefully by May), 4.56's LOCKED both ends, 4" lift, 35" and 33" tires (depends on track compound), NP205, HAD shafts, soon to be fresh paint, Dakota digital dash.

Future mods. D60 (have it, waiting to be installed), 454 (have it waiting to be installed), 4L80 (don't have it, but will probably need it after the BBC goes in), A/C (for those hot summer days), paint (hopefully by May).

It's all new GM sheetmetal ($$$$$$) so I don't plan to wheel it on trails, but I have no problems putting the right pedal down in mud pits or towing people out.

If it's done in time for the pulling season, I'd like to have everyone in the area come to one of our events: see link below.

14. thefarside

[ QUOTE ]
    again, whats your definition of legal...... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

a guy on my hockey team is a New York State Trooper, and after seeing my k5 for the first time read me off a list of offenses...... /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

but i did drive the truck 150 miles today to finish up some cage work /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

damn that truck is fun!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    How about some of the basics
    Registered, licence plate, bumper that is not draging on the gound, tires fully affixed to the truck, engine not leaking copious amounts of fluid etc...
    You know a truck that is not a hazard to the drive and to the vehicals around them.

15. tweek

tweek 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifyah then my truck passes the test /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

16. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I dont think those apply in NY-
    As long as you have -SOME sort of mud flap
    - SOME sort of bumper (as truck bumpers do not have to be 18" off the ground) and your hitch counts as a "bumper" (hence why ford installed their wide hitches in the later expeditions)
    there is a lift law in NY- however its loosely defined- basically its around 32" inches from the lowest point in your truck-. Its stretching it to say your axles/pumpkin is the lowest point, so I just measure the transfercase skid plate. 32" is a lot- thats like 44" tires on a 8-10" lift.

[ QUOTE ]

damn that truck is fun!!

[/ QUOTE ]

17. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Wow... with rules like that it really makes me not like Massachusettes. Our lift law consists of a mathematical forumla which multiplies your wheel base by the track width and divides it by 2200. That gives you the maximum lift for your suspension and the maximum number of inches larger your tires can be. Basicly if my answer is 3" I can put a 3" lift on and some 34" tires and be legal. They do give you 1" to play around with because every truck is different. I guess my 7" of lift and 39.5" Boggers may not make the grade /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

18. tweek

tweek 1/2 ton status

now passing an inspection and being stopped by Johnny law are two totally different things......To pass an inspection you need some form of bumper.....and no measurements required.......but when the po-po wants to hassle you they can pull out the little black book and go to town /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif...just passing on information from Johnny law to you guys /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Again Johnny said 9 out of 10 times he would not bother a guy in a lifted ride, BUT if your a jerk you will be wrote...............

Again knowing is half the battle /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hope so...going to the paint booth on the 19th /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

20. thefarside

Man this really sucks! I have no time do do anything because of school! I will be lucky to get a cab corner in by the end of summer! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I have to keep reminding myself why I am going to college! And I am like more cash to put into the truck and a house which then puts me back on track. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Maybe when I do get some time to divote to my truck can some of you can help me wrench? /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif I will provide the beer! It would be a real help.

I have to finish the floor and cab corners, rockers, main support bar in the center. I do have the floor roughed in but it needs some fine tuning to get it to fit right. Not to mention I need to make holes for the back seat to lock down and a cutout for the gas tank.