Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So who is going to try Silverado rear discs first? MEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

OHHHHHHH I cannot belive my luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm standing behind my work smoking a cig talking to my mom on my cell phone. This is a strip mall. So a couple country boys drive up and start looking in the dumpster. Sitting on the pile of scrap on the back of their ford is this axle with Disk brakes. I walk over there and the disc had GM on it. I ask them about it....they just pulled it out of the dumpster at the CHevy dealer accross the street. It's a Disc brake silverado 10 bolt. Covers off and the Gov Lock is granaded big time...housing is damage but the COMPLETE disc assembly is there with calipers and EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They let me strip it off. Damn metric bolts on the caliper brackets. Got the one side off and then broke the only socket I had that fit. Dudes are going to strip the other side off and bring it to me later today or tomorrow. Giving them a $20 to cover their trouble and gas. They were just hauling it to the scrap yard for the cash..the $20 is probably all they will get for the whole axle. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Now you'll find a one ton deal for pennies Grimmy.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Good score!!!

Rene

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Man! What luck! I would be visiting the dumpster across the street frequently if I were you. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Jeez Grim..... I gotta start smokin'... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif your deals always start with "well I was out back smokin' a cig"... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    You must be livin' right or something...!

Marv

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    wow... that's a deal, some people just have that "I always find screaming deals" thing.... people who have that make me jealous.

6. Grim-Reaper

Marv....It finds me...I can't explain it.
    I got the truck that way. Walked into a club meeting. Pres of the club asked me if I was interested in another truck. Said one of the prospects had one for sale. Prospect shows up I ask him about it. His wife and Homeowners assoc were complaining about it. He say's a "DOLLAR" and it yours, come get it tomorrow.....Drove it home the next day. Then spent a year replacing rusted out floors. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Grim, How much difference is there between these brakes and the ones on older 10 bolt axels? I was planning on designing and building a 10/12 bolt adapter later this month to sell along with the 14 bolt adapter we allready sell. I was going to use the calipers and rotors off my old 10 bolt axel along with what ever else we have to make. If yours would fit the same adapter that fits my old 10 bolt (1983) then I would consider sending you a set to install free of charge if you would do a write up on the installation.

8. Grim-Reaper

Well the axle set up is very close...this set up is all bolt up design and bolts to a flange just like the flange used on a drum set up. I have to check back spacing and all that. THe sweet deal is the parking brakes is not in the caliper. It's completly seperate system. It has it's own drum inside the disc.
    I'll try to take some pictures of it and throw it up somewhere so you can see it.

9. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

I'll watch for that post but send a PM also so I do not miss it. I am very interested. Thanks

10. Grim-Reaper

Re: So who is going to try Silverado rear discs first? MEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Now the adaptor is that to run a front disc on the rear? I might still be interested. I have two trucks. Maybe my wifes mall cruiser needs disc's too . /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I got the parts home and started Eyeballing stuff. Couple issues to work out but nothing major but it's not going to be a bolt and go but it does looke like a viable option. Here are the problems I am seeing.
    I got looking at it and the parking brake points to the rear of the truck as they have it set up on the silverado's. I need to look up under a new truck and see how they did it. It appears as though they have a cable wrapping around over the top of the axle. If they pointed the other way then it may still put it to where the stock cables would work with some minor modifications. The caliper on these mounts to the front. The backing plate is marked to go that direction. I am trying to figure out if there would be any issue of just running them backwards. It's a caliper right...the pads look identical for both sides. Where the issue might be is the way the bracket is set up to deal with holding the caliper when your braking (rotatioal) . The other possiblity has to do with the parking brake. That may be just a swap the leading and trailing shoes. It's a parking brake.... will it even matter.
    I cant come up with any good reason that it would matter if the caliper was on the front or the back.
    Next issue........Silverado's run a 16 inch wheel. The caliper hits the factory 15x8 rally. However with a 1.5 inch wheel spacer it doesn't appear to hit. about 1/8 inch clearence. Couple minutes with a grinder will solve any issues here. I happen to have a set of 2 inch spacers so even with my 4 inch back sace rims I might be able to do this without grinding.
    Next is the square flange welded to the axle appears to be at a different angle. the 12 bolt looks like the flange sides are parrallel to the ground. I think these are turned about 45 degrees. Have not broke out the measuring tape to see if they are the same size.....I think the Silverado's may be a bit larger. Might have to make some new flanges any way if the mounting depth is an issue. Some measuremnts, few bucks at the machine shop and some time with the welder to make and install a new flange might be in order. Then again ...other than bleeding the caliper will it matter if the caliper is at an angle? I could power bleed the calipers with the off the bracket to get the bleed screw pointed the right dirrection.
    Last is the 10 bolt shafts have a smaller protruding hub through the disc. Machine shop can turn the rotor to fit on the 12 bolt shafts.
    Bottom line is if I make a new mounting flange and get the center of the disc machined it will work. WHat I have to do to make the parking brake work is still up in the air. This is looking like a viable junk yard conversion that may only need one custom part.
    I have a loose axle here. I need to pull it appart and so some test fitting and figure it all out. Might be a week before I will have time to mess with it.
    Have you got the tools to make a new mounting flange?

11. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.

What a sweet deal!!!!Great find,Grim!!!Let us know how it goes.Mike

12. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I cant come up with any good reason that it would matter if the caliper was on the front or the back.

[/ QUOTE ]
    It doesn't matter, I have a 79 Cadillac 10 bolt rear axle that has the caliper on one side on the front of the axle, and the one on the other side is on the back of the axle. Came from the factory that way /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

13. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Grim, The adapter I was talking about is the front caliper and rotor from my old 10 bolt front axel. I plan on first trying to use it for the rear 10 bolt with a new adapter and what ever is required to make it work. That is the one I wanted you to do the write up on. In regards to your other Silverado brakes I would also be glad to help where I can but you will have to be very detailed in what you want because Tucson is a long ways away to come over and look for myself. "Do I have the tools?" Yes, I own a aerospace CNC machine shop "A-Tron Corporation" and with the economy and the aerospace market being what it is, we are slow and doing a lot of things we would normaly turn away. It does give me more time to work on my own project "Jimmy" but like everyone that does not put food on the table. Anyway thats enough about me, I would be glad to give you a hand with this prject because I will learn from it as well as you.

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Bill, I got your PM about this thread and read Grimmy's replies thoroughly, twice. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Until I can see some pictures of what Grimmy has and is talking about, it's harder to even try to say something about the 10 &amp; 12 bolt rear disc brackets. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Lets hope and try to get Grimmy to get some pictures up! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Still looking for the articles in the mags, though....../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

15. Grim-Reaper

Well cool! sounds like you got tools I could kill months of time playing with /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Let me pull down this axle I have and do some test fitting and see if it's going to require a flange made.
    All that would be needed is to make the square shapped flange that the Brake backing plates bolt to. Just eyeballing it looked about 1/2 inch thick. About a 3 inch hole in the center to slide over the axle tube and weld on with four threaded holes for the bolts. Honestly I see no reason it has to be threaded. Just holes and some 1/2-7/16 inch grade 8 bolts This would let me get it back indexed to level and adjust the depth. If It is going to require the flange I could ship you the rotors and backing plates if that would be easiest. I even have a screwed up 12 bolt axle shaft with a gauled bearing surface I will throw in the chop saw and cut the shaft off so you have that to measure up.
    Once you get the demensions then when these trucks start hitting the junk yard and used parts become available you could probably do some of these on the side when it's slow. Material wise proably looking at penny's heck you probaly have Drop that would be suitable. Just time and a occasional bit for the mill. They are already 3 years old now so a year or two more and the parts will start becoming available. I'm pretty sure a 10 bolt uses the same diameter tube as a 12 bolt but I'll find some calipers and double check the next Silverado I work on. I already have one schedulaed week after next. Not sure this would work on a 14 bolt due to the larger axle tube.....but there is a 3/4 ton disc set up on the new trucks also /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Heck with your set up you could probably make a whole assembly that works on the existing axle but uses the GM Disc and parts and sell it as a kit. It would be easy to adapt to any axle. Might have you a good side buisness. The Jeeps grand cherrokees have a simlular set up.....There is your Jeep lug pattern for those folks. I think that might also fit some fords.
    It has market......just needs somebody that has the means to produce.
    Back to your bracket idea I thought about the exact idea with using the front rotors on the rear. The rotors are designed the be on the back side of the hub. I have a set that have some life in them laying here that I had thought about doing that exact set up. My concern was the parking brake. Most folks are not having great luck with those eldorado set ups with the parking brake built into the caliper.
    I think the idea is sound other than that. I would be willing to give a set a shot and do a write up on them if you like. There is a place right down the road from me that can fab up the rubber lines I bet. I could walk in the with calipers and a hard line with the right flare and they should be able to make a hose that would adapt to peoples existing hard lines.
    It's going to be a few weeks before I slow down. I have almost every weekend booked through Mid October.

16. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Grim, It all sounds good. Try to schetch something on paper when you have time. You can email to bill@a-tron.net or if you have a fax my fax is 520-882-8353. Stay in touch. By the way "Boss and Fran" were in the shop a couple of weeks ago and he thought it looked like a neat place to play with his 4x4.

17. Grim-Reaper

18. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Re: Pictures

Hmm, might have been usefull to get the whole axle, then you would have had it to scavenge brackets and such from and to look at for conversion info. Probably could have gotten the whole axle from them for $30 (as you said, more than scrap price).

19. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

My father just bought a 2002 GMC Yukon with the z-71 package. It has rear disks and coils!!! If you would like I can take pics of anything you want, just need to get the digi camera off my Mom....

20. Grim-Reaper

Last thing I need is another axle housing laying around. In the last 15 months I have had 4 rear axles come...three leave and one complete 2wd front suspension come and go /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    I need nothing off that axle other than the other backing plate they should be dropping off today. No way to get the welded on flange off with out butchering it. It's a simple part and paying to have it made is worth it to save me the frustration of trying to get it off. There were not parking brake cable or brake lines on it. The only thing left that was salvagable was the axle shafts. The Gov lock granaded big time and ripped one of the bearing caps off. Housing was junk. I tried to get them to leavethe shafts for me to give away on the board but weight=money. They sure were not riding home in My Supra either. I found a box for the brakes. They were 10 bolt and would not work on my truck so was not worth arguing about when the real gem was the brakes /forums/images/icons/smile.gif