Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So who is losing OT pay

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cybrfire, Aug 23, 2004.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Wife just told me Pres. Just signed the OT bill into law. Under 23,000 and you still get OT
    Above 100,000 and you don't get OT
    inbetween its up to the employer.

I'm just curious about you folks in the middle. Are your employers telling you OT is history and still requiring you to work it.

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I don't get OT, I'm paid by tonnage hauled, but my boss is paid houly and I'd bet his OT is gone, which probably means he is gone too. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I'm salaried, so I didn't get OT before...

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

military = no OT /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

time and a half? haha, i've never had a boss pay that.. if i'm lucky, i get it in hourly cash, if i'm lucky...

Ryoken - battling with the boss for a week now and hating his job... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm salaried, so I didn't get OT before...

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. With all my past jobs, I still wouldn't lose it because I either didn't hit the salary threshold or was 'protected' by a union........

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Since im degreed, im considered a Professional, therefore I have to give my first 5 hours of OT for free. However, were rarely allowed to work OT therefore we get butt chewings because were under staffed and behind schedule. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Do you have a link to this story, I didnt hear anything about this law getting passed, not saying youre lying, just want to get the full story, thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I don't get over time. I do get percentage for anything I do after 5 pm which works out to $42.00 an hour /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif and My boss is glad to pay it cause when I make money he makes money.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

11. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I'm well above the 23,000 and well below the 100,000, but my OT won't be declined. No matter what, there has to be a firefighter to fill the empty slot if someones on vacation. We get our OT 12 hours at a time. I usually take the midnight shift. When I work it's 24 on, and then if I take the OT, I get off at noon, and go back in at midnight, I (hopefully) sleep most, if not all, night (I usually take the slower stations when I can) and get up, clean up, and go home 300 dollars richer. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you have a link to this story, I didnt hear anything about this law getting passed, not saying youre lying, just want to get the full story, thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you didn't. The Illinois lawmakers aren't following the law. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif, I've lost OT for the past 4 yrs. being salary sucks, I get paid for 45 hrs a week and for the past 3 yrs, I put in at least 50 a week during the slow months.

14. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I collect welfare, it doesn't pay overtime... J/K /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I used to work an average of 65 hours a week with no OT. I told them I want OT or fewer hours, now I work 40 to 45 hours a week, still no OT.

15. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Hmm I'm curious how this is gonna fly in my shop.
    Something tells me that they will pay for the over 40 hours worked but not at time and a half. Flat rate pay.
    Not that I get much overtime, shop management frowns on OT.
    But with my shift there is no one to follow up on my jobs, so I can usualy squeeze in a couple hrs a week.
    And anymore for me 45 hrs or so is plenty, after 10 hrs OT it just gets sucked up by taxes, the return is good but...
    When I was working 96+ hrs a week I was only making $350 or so more than if I had worked a 50 hr week.
    I had one check where 38% in taxes had been taken out. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif then med/den and all the other deductions.
    But I suppose if it came down to flat rate or salary I would go with flat rate.
    But still what a load of crap.

16. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Way back in the day....

I worked at Goodyear as a "Retail Sales Manager"...scheduled 48hr week at salary...my Half day off was Thurs...meaning I had to Clock out on the Time Card (machine) by noon or so....But if I hadn't completed my job, or if we were busy, I was expected to stay...I was given an hour for lunch, but was expected to take 30 minutes, and it was up to me to punch my time card accordingly....I managed no one, hired and fired no one, worked the tire shop as necessary, and was expected to come in on Sunday occasionally to Power clean the shop if the big manager was coming by or something.....usually put in about 60hr weeks and punched the time clock to make it look like 48....When I got promoted to managing my own store, the hours went up...figuring by the hour, I actually took a pay cut....but I managed 6 people and was responsible to hire and fire.

I believe the law is intended to protect situations like that.....needless to say, I only worked there a year.

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'm a rich fat cat Republican with shadowey ties to the Bush family. So of course I get payed for OT. But I dont like to put in more than 40 hours a week. I have a choice of time and a half compensation of either money or comp time. I usually take the comp time. If I work hollidays I get double time.

18. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Yep, just heard that on the radio this morning. I guess that Blagojevich is good for something.

19. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I use to work for a company that would get busy and ask/require us to work OT and paid time and a half so it wasn't too bad but I just think that some of the greed types are gona cut the time and a half and still ask you to work OT. If you don't they will simply find somebody that will. Iowa is a fair labor state. They don't have to have a reason to fire you and you don't have to have a reason to quit. They will end up paying unemployment but big deal. They just hired somebody for less than what you were making and this person will put in OT because they need the cash. Basically I see it coming down to rich owners wanting to squeeze every dime of profit for their own pockets and as usual the little guy gets nailed for it. You either work longer hours and have less time with your family or look for another job. It use to be that when a company couldn't get enough stuff done they would hire more people or put on a night shift. Now they don't have to do that to avoid paying OT. I see less jobs.

Maybe I'm thinking this all wrong but it doesn't sound like a good idea. They talk like the big reason for this is to cut litigation on whether or not somebody is owed overtime pay.

20. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I read the site and I'll still get OT pay.

Good thing too because that's he only reason I work 60 hours a week. If there was no OT, I'd just do maybe 40 and stop.

OT is where it's at.