Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So who knows about these van steering shafts...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, Aug 1, 2004.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I hit the junkyards today so I could get one of dual u-joint steering shafts, and I couln't find one that would fit in my truck. I have splines on the output of my steering column, and all of the vans I could find all had a smooth round shaft with two flat sides coming out of the column.

Am I looking for something that doesn't exist, or just looking at the wrong vans? What are my options? Are there any with splines?

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

did u see the write up on this in the advanced previews section??

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that's what got me started, but I couldn't really figure out for sure where to find what. They ended up talking about whether or not the bolt goes through the middle of the shaft or if it just clamps on, but that's not my issue. Everything I have dealt with has been clamp style, it's just that my column has splines and the vans don't. I was just wondering if anyone has done it with a column of my style, and where to find the parts.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

all of the vans have what you have found.
    you can either swap in a 79 or newer column and use the van steering shaft or get a steering shaft from IIRC a 88 and newer chevy truck. these i think have the splined ends and are ujoints.

i swaped in a 82 column on my friends truck when i made his because his tilt was loose anyway.

5. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

You need the column joint (whole shaft) off of an 89 chevy truck and the box joint (whole shaft) from the van It is a little more work but I have done it and it works. My buddy sold the truck before I could get pics. But I can help out on what to do if you find the parts.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

just a matter of getting parts off the right years of trucks and vans to make it all work

older trucks had splines end of column shaft and later on went to single bolt and nut round shaft with two flat sides

the two flat sides oens are way so more easy to remove its not even funny, splines ones are a PIA to remove almost always,.

i cant remember now what years changed to flat style shafts

i am pretty sure the 79 older vans are splined because you can use the 79 lder van columns in the 67-72 pickups direct fit cept you just need to collapse the overall shaft length a couple inches, otherwse 79 older van columns are totally identical to the 69-72 truck columns

that is how alot of the 67-72 trucks get a tilt column that otherwse didnt get one from factory

and 67-older truck shafts are one piece solid all way form steering wheel down to the rag joint they do not collapse, 68-up are collapsible its a faderal safety thing just like the 68-up mandatory side markers on all makes models

i have a 79 van shaft joint assembly around here somewhere if you want me to locate it and tell you what column shaft end it has ?

67-72 and into the later 70s they were splined still

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Someone on here said the late model cherokee jeep shafts are a direct bolt in--but I dont know if they have the flat sided shaft or the splined end--probably the flat sided kind. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. backyardbuilt

The cherokee shafts are for non splined columns, they work on bolt type columns you do need to melt the pins holding the shaft together and slide it apart a bit and weld it to the right lenght it is a little short for our trucks.

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Thanks. There's an abundance of the van shafts, but it might take me a little while to find one from a truck. Does it have to be an 89, or is there a certain range to choose from? Would I end up using any part of mine, or would it be the top and shaft from the 89 and the bottom from the van, or something like that?

10. backyardbuilt

You end up using a little of all 3 it should be pretty clear what you need to do when you get the parts if not pm me and I will help as much as I can. I used a 89 shaft since that is what we saw that worked so you might just look around 88 to whenever the change over was might be the same. I just know 89 worked for sure.

11. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well, I went everywhere today, and found only 92 and newer and 87 and older; except for one 2wd 89. They all had the shaft where the bolt passes right through the middle of it. I can't find a splined shaft anywhere, unless it's 78 and older. I don't want to change columns, and I already pulled out my shaft. I would hate to give up and put the same one back in.

Am I missing something here? I'm running out of places to look and I'm starting to feel kinda stupid.

12. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

from what i've seen out there 78-79 is when they changed from splined to the flat style end of the column.

cherokees all have the flat style.

maybe what you need to find is a 78 and older van to see if it has the right end you need.

13. backyardbuilt

I just remembered something, on the 89 it is backwards the splined part is not directly attached to the column but is on the other end of the joint the steering shaft is splined not the column. If you pound the joint off and turn it around it will work. Sorry its been a little while since I did it. You could also try the older vans like BOWTIE mentioned might be worth a shot.