Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So Who's Got Dual Sport Bikes?????????????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, May 31, 2006.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Just broke the news to the wife this morning cause I'm an asshole like that. Told her once her pickup is paid for (later this summer), I plan on picking up an XR650L. Figured WTF, can't really do another vehicle payment for the Dodge that I want, so I should go off the deep end and buy another off-road vehicle.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

2. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I've got a '02 KLR 650 that I bought new. It is the best thing I ever bought. In my opinion it is the most versitile bike ever made. Not overly great at anything, but above average on everything. And unlike sportbikes, thre is no need to take it to triple digit speeds just to make it happy. Took mine to 110-ish one day and I thought it was going to be my last day on earth! :D

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya i was looking at the KLR, but i am a die hard honda man, the the XR-L is just a XR650r with some lights and a ele. starter
    there is a dude out here on craigs list that was selling a 04 for 1k
    wish i had a way to get it home, i miss my bikes

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Ride it back:haha: :haha: :haha:

I've been deadset on an XR for about 12 years now, looks like I might be able to do it here soon. Probably gonna go speak with the dealer tonight:D

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

'91 XR250L

Wanted something light & easy to carry out to the desert races. For when you're at S/F at Barstool and you can see the In-N-Out beckoning in the distance.....

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Mmmmmmmmmmm, In and Out. Only time I ate at the one in Barstool was for a MORE race about 5 years ago....................

7. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

02' ktm 400 EXC with a 450 big bore kit and suspension work, duel sported. I love riding my dirt bike on the street way more then riding my harley I used to have.

8. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had an 85 KLR600 for a few years. It had a cobra pipe and it screamed for a single cylinder bike. The suspension and brakes were marginal at best but that motor would just pull and pull. No electric start made for tough hot starts. All in all, one of the funnest motorcycles i've owned. Get the honda and go have a blast... just try to avoid riding across that field or cutting through the woods. Might wanna check your local laws concerning these things.:haha:

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

NASA just called. They were unable to find any signs of humor in that sentence........................:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

10. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

oh.. are we special????

I am thinking of a klr to go with my new drifter (kawasakis limited production now obsolete indian replica)...

I rode my buds dual sport beemer and it was nice... but the kawas in my price range... I looked at the honda.. I like the older ones but the new ones....that seat.... yeow... its a true ball bearing buster... hondas quality will never leave you 50 miles from nowhere...

here we have fireroads that can take you 120 miles from Redding to the ocean and never see anyone... it better be a good bike

I want a baja kit... big 8 inch headlight... brushguard.. gun rack.. water tote.. off road bags.. kitchen sink.. you know.. tha basics

11. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I had a 84 Honda xl600r for a few years and That was a fun bike . Wheelies for blocks :haha: . Riding a bike on the street again scare's the chit out of me . To many idiots in big rigs .

12. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

The Honda is a MUCH better performing bike off road than the KLR, but the Kawi is far more comfortable to ride on the street. It has a bigger tank and a more comfortable seat than the Honda. Ever since I put my D 606 tires on it it will go pretty much anywhere I am brave enough to take it! I wouldn't trade this bike for anything. Well, maybe a KTM 950 Adventure.....

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Me thinks there could be some work related applications with it also:D

Way back in the day, I wanted to get one and race, but I realized that it's better to have all that sheetmetal and seatbelts and such. Now I'm just looking to get a little toy where I can hop on and goof around on the dirt roads. I can go across the county and not hit any pavement. Or rack it on the back of the K5 and take it somewhere like on fishing trips and go exploring for awhile. Best part is the around 38 mpg so it won't cost an arm and a leg to drive around.

14. koldsimer

You know people at NASA? Wow. Maybe you should get their opinions on a good dual-sport.

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Nope, I don't know them. They just called me at random one night about another post gone tard and now they think I should about everyone when in reality I don't give a ****.....................

16. koldsimer

I see it all so clearly now. Makes perfect sense. So you'll be getting the Honda?

17. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ahhh yes i had a dubbleduble waiting for me at the airport, and just had a #3 with animal style fries today,
    you want i should bring some back for ya:D

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

If ya can get it here still warm, I'd be all over it. Don't worry about the fries, just a couple of burgers and I'll be set.......................................

It'll make up for that 1/2 pound disgrace I consumed last night. Wife raved about this thing for months on end, so last night I had to make a run for some tube and she decided to take me to this place and I decided that since I'm the world's foremost burger expert, I would try this thing to see if lived up to the billing. Needless to say I was greatly disappointed and didn't take much thinking to give it the old two thumbs down.