Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So why I have this bare frame sitting in the driveway.... frame mods ?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jun 16, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

-First I have a weld in brace for the steering.
    -I'm thinking about making a MOOffroad type boxed frame rail backside type brace. here
    -then I'm thinking about making the engine crossmember incase I go to hysteer/crossover later on
    -I'm doing the 52's up front so I'm thinking about making a front crossmember that also has front spring eye cups built on it (so the front spring mounts will be a couple inches below the frame (hoping to makeup some pinion angle)).
    -I have an echobit flip and 56's, I'm hoping I dont have to the move the hangers back but I might need too. (I'm going to mount the flip backwards so the stock shackles should work /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif)
    -while the front end is off I'm going to move my front bumper from the truck to the new frame and make the skidplates and new front crossmember for the front springs
    -I'm planning on a 208 clocking ring and posibley a fixed output, but I think I'm going to wait to make the crossmembers and skid plates for that till the motor and transmission get swapped over.
    -I'm also going to make a low profile rear shock inboarded shock tower that should fit under the 1" body lift /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    -whent he body gets swapped over I'm going to stiffin up some of the rear floors with thicker plate/channeling (the rear floors bows a little /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif) Plate is good but there's no ridges for strength /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Lets hear some ideas, see some pics and drawings /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I just did a 56" spring swap, and did not have to reloacte my shackles, I have a 7.5" shackle and it sits at approx 30*...so take a look into doing that.

Yeah I'm having rear floor bowing problems too, my tailgate (truck one now) doesnt line up by about a thumb width. Tom to get some plate and a come-along to suck er back in.

3. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Time to get some plate and a come-along to sucker back in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I done that to regap my doors when I had all the floors and rockers cut out /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Got any pics of your shackles? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Are you going to use a body lift? If so, you might try to raise the gas tank a little.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

umm 52" springs requires crossover steering so you know. Sounds like you aren't planning on going to Crossover, thats a no no. The suspension travels far too much and the axle being moved forward 2" the stock steering design just won't work. And I don't believe the echobit flip IS reversable. Its designed in a way that it couldn't be if memory serves. Has a little notch so it fits into a spot just right. Like said, just use a longer shackle, no reason to do all that work when others have done less and worked very well. 30* is a more desirable shackle angle anyway.

6. jjlaughner

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif yeah I forgot about the 52's and crossover deal, I might have to toss on my 4" front springs for now.

I thought on the echobit you could swap sides so that the shackle mounting bolt is further back? I'm hoping to use the stock shackle to get everything mounted and be able to roll the frame around on till I can order the drop shackles /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Right now there is no weight on the frame so I dont want to start fabbing up shackles.

-has anyone extended the factory shackle? Maybe use some thick 2" sq tube and cut in half for each side /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

-The truck will have a 1.5" body lift, I dont know if that would be enough to mess with raising the fuel tank /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    I'll look at the crossmembers for the fuel tank and see.

SO... Steering brace front and back, engine crossmember for future crossover, raise the tank, make the rear shock mount crossmember, brace the front bumper and start the front bumper skid plate, then swap in the motor and rotate the 208 and make a flat crossmember and maybe a skidplate there. Anything else /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

whats wrong with cutting a hole in the floor and running some diamond plate over the tank? I must agree raising the tank is something more people should do.

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    make the rear shock mount crossmember

[/ QUOTE ]

Heads up - the very rear crossmember in a 4wd (not sure if 2wd is the same) pick up frame will fit perfectly in the arc of the frame right over the rear axle. This crossmember is tall and flat (vertically) so it's perfect for drilling for shock studs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

You can do the 52 inch swap without crossover. No you wont be able to fully flex it do to the stress on the stock components. But you can run an offset ORD zero rate effectively moving your axle back 1.5 inches to compensate for the 2 inches the swap moves it foward. THerfore putting your axle .5 inches foward from the stock position.