Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

so you buy a truck...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PeteH, May 26, 2005.

1. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

I've had my blazer for a few years now. No one wanted me to have it, but now that i do, everyone uses it because they(parents, siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, neighbors..) cant haul things in their cars. its getting out of control. I think my truck sees home depot more often then anywhere else, its sad.
    i should charge rental fees! i'd b rich! :D

anybody else have people problems :)

2. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

3. Iron_Weasel

Iron_Weasel Registered Member

I don't have that problem with my K10.
    The bed on it has a lot of small (1" - 2" diameter) holes and 1 or 2 larger (3"+) holes in it and a big gooseneck hitch in the middle of it.
    Everyone that has asked to use it changes their mind when I show them the bed.
    I guess they'd rather not have their stuff end up on the road when the bed falls out from underneath it. :laugh:

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I used to move all my friends. It sucked. Almost got one of those bumper stickers "Yes this is my truck, no I won't haul anything for you."

5. 2BLAZERS

2BLAZERS 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I understand completely. On our way home last weekend we stopped at my in-laws to say hi. Guess what I ended up doing....moving my sister-in-laws washer, sofa, tv, etc... out of her second story apartment with my father-in-laws help into my truck and then to a storage unit. Quick stop at in-laws turns into a 4 hour ordeal:(((

This happens quite a bit. I have learned to just say we are busy and the word no. But for friends and family its a little hard to say no. At least we are busy most weekends or I could be moving friends every weekend with my truck and 14' utility trailer.

6. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Just weight till you get a trailer. Then you will be a real popular guy!

The worst thing is that half the time something (lights, wiring, ramps, fenders) will be messed up when you get it back :(

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Been there...

I know how you feel--I have at least one person a week stop by,asking if I would let them borrow one of my trucks ,which I'd NEVER do!(dont trust them!)--(or hire me with it,even worse!)--since they know I'm not working steady,and have "nothing better to do" :surepal: --they think I want to spend a day getting stockade fencing,or other heavy crap at Lowes,and overload my truck and drive it 20 miles to and from their house--that I would not mind,IF it were just go get the stuff,bring it there,and drop it off,and go home!...
    I made decent money delivering motors and heavy axles from the junkyards, with the crane on my K20,that I did not mind,since the winch and crane did most of the heavy labor...but "household" stuff like lumber,fencing,and plywood is a nutcracker... :mad:

But 95% of the time,they want ME to load and unload the stuff,and either help carry it and stash it away,or in the case of the fence,help DIG THE HOLES and INSTALL it!..all for the lump sum of 10-50 dollars,which barely pays for the gas...guess my time is worth zilch..if I'm lucky they make me a sandwich or give me a beer for all my trouble!..so I dont answer the door if I know its someone who wants my truck-

-I told one guy he should just BUY my 79 C10!!--then he'd have his OWN truck!--My 82 K20 has a stepside bed that is too dinky to haul much in it,since it has a toolbox that hogs a lot of the bed!--I also left the plow on it so I can use that for an excuse!--its not that I'm lazy--or I dont need cash!--but theese people get bolder every time they ask--they dont care that your truck is getting beat up,nor do the feel your time is worth paying for-.. :mad:

You can rent a truck from Home Depot quite reasonable--but I made the mistake of doing the chore for much less!--now I'm a popular guy with the people who are too cheap to pay the piper for a rental..I still help them sometimes,but I got tired of having all my weekends revolve around their home improvement plans...had I a "real" job,I'd NEVER have helped 90% of them!--when it came time for them to return the favor,THEY always had other plans,had to work,or just plain said "NO",so I tell most of them I'm not interested --sorry!....But I do have a friend who's been good to me thats moving soon--so I guess I'll be helping him to move.. :frown1: :crazy:

Yes,owning a truck can be a disadvantage at times!--I'm looking for a slide in camper for cheap or free--that will kill 2 birds with one stone!--I can sleep in it,and I can say "sorry,my camper is in my truck for the summer--bye!"... :D

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Heh, try owning a flatbed with a crane and liftgate sometime. You become popular fast when friends see the liftgate in action and think 'hey, that would work really well to pick up that refridgerator I bought and save myself the $30 delivery charge'. I get folks asking to borrow everything from my personal 3/4 ton pickup to out 18' trailer AND the tow rig to 1 guy that wanted to borrow my backhoe (last time I checked hell was pretty devoid of snowballs). Folks that borrow stuff suck, and folks that borrow stuff to save money at your expense really suck.

9. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

had to help tow an F-150 into a public storage storage unit... friend rented a tow dolly, we got it there... and i could barely fit the two trucks down the alley between the garage-type units. turned out this bright kid didn't have his steering hooked up to the truck yet, had to literally drag and push the front of his truck with mine to get it in the slot.

then people want to borrow my truck to haul some stuff (without use of a trailer)... i throw them the keys and say sure have at it, but fill it up before i get it back. Little do they know my back window doesn't come down nor will the tailgate open; everything must be loaded through the doors :o

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

you can do what I do... Lift it (PINA to load/unload stuff) build you a nasty motor and say they have to pay for your gas :D

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I DID have a flatbed and crane!

I hear ya man!..I still have the flatbed/crane from my 74K20,but its now mounted on a trailer made from a 62 GMC 3/4 ton chassis with an old eaton FF axle in it--but it has coil springs so it bounces pretty bad--I'm getting new HD shocks for it,have to see if that helps(old ones were DEAD!)--but its unregistered,so I cant use it legally yet anyway..
    I dont have a power tailgate,but I wish I did many times!--until someone wants a refridgerator delivered,like you said! (Bet if I had one,and started a delivery bussiness,NO ONE would want to pay what its worth!).. :mad:

I got all kinds of calls--people wanted me to help them pull out motors on a sunday,pick up heavy rocks for their wifes rock garden,and on and on...I got tired of being the whipping post after awhile!...I'd always end up doing the work,and getting little in return..I took the phone off the hook many weekends--then they'ed show up at my door! :frown1:

I had a friend that ran a junkyard who would often call me to deliver an engine or rear end,sometimes something even bigger!--but I'd charge at least 50 bucks to do it,or I'd stay in bed!-- after the first few times I did it for 20 bucks,and found out "my house isn't far" was about 25 miles,I wised up fast!..I made some good $$ doing it,but my truck wasn't exactly in the best of shape--I'd get nervous driving it more than 20-30 miles away from home..

I feel the same way about car trailers--as much as I'd love to have one-(I could have gotten at least 75 bucks more for my K20 I scrapped if I had my own trailer,and got it there sooner before prices dropped!)--I'd be sure to have many "friends" wanting to borrow it--and I've seen other guys trailers that they lent out--they came back with broken lights,ramps,flat tires,or hit something with it,etc,like the other post said....no thanks!--and if you refuse to lend it or rent it out,your an a$$ hole!!...right?...you buy it--insure it--register it--and they WRECK it!!--and they only say "sorry about the trailer man",then give you 20 bucks.... :screwy: -

-The liability alone is enough to keep me from lending a trailer or truck out to anyone--what if their car rolls off of it,or the load falls off the truck, and kills somebody??-most people who borrow things have no clue how to use them--and dont care-"its not mine"-I dont want that on MY head!.. :crazy:

12. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Nope, no one asks me cause I will tell them no. If its a good friend and I know they might need help I will offer, but if someone asks me I say no. Plus it doesnt help cause my blazer has gaping holes in the floor, but hey its not my DD, my '03 silverado is. :wink1:

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

40's and a full on roll cage keeps people from asking me anymore...

Rene

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

my K1500 was quite the whore for my friend Justin. when he found out i was selling it, he was all over it. we're trying to get it back together now so that it can disappear from my driveway.

15. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

My buddy had a '79 Burban. A guy that was doing some reno's on my buddy's house borrowed the truck to run tools and lumber and whatnot. Made sense. Except he drove it everywhere, daily, for literally 6 months. Never considered maintenance, oil changes or anything. Then another guy borrowed the truck to tow his sailboat. A hell of a boat on a hell of a hilly highway. Surprise, surprise the tranny went about a month later. The good news is, my buddy gave up on the truck soon after the T400 was rebuilt. So I got a beaten 454, a rebuilt T400, and much needed rear cargo doors for free!

16. tbsdontstop

tbsdontstop Registered Member

Yeah we always have people asking us to help them with something since we have trucks but I dont complain b/c my friend lets me borrow his car trailer since mine has broke and I dont have time to fix it. but I also make sure to fix it if i break it like the one time I picked it up I went down the road and went to get gas and the tire was flat so I went to discount and had them fix it for me. I always treat my buddys trailer better than mine and we both help each other out all the time so I can complain.

17. esponet

esponet Registered Member

do what i do.

when people wana borrow my sub, i ask to borrow their car. when i return it, i return it dirty (inside out), gas empty. usually they don't ask to burrow my burban again. i know i'm an asshole but hey.

18. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

No one has ever asked to borrow my ****. I have offered my truck and trailer a few times but very rarely does anyone need it. You know why? Every family in Texas has at least one truck, be it a Ford Ranger or Dodge 4x4 dually. My family...we have 3...all 4x4's to boot. Guess its just the are or something.