Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So you think yer built B.B. is tough? :-)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wingnutt, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Top Fuel Dragster Trivia

One TF dragster's 500-inch Hemi makes more horsepower than the first 8 rows at the Daytona 500. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1 1/2 gallons of nitro per second, the same rate of fuel consumption as a fully loaded 747 but with 4 times the energy volume. (and you thought your K5 sucked fuel) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

A stock hemi will not produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Even with nearly 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into nearly-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock. (something a few of us know about)

Dual magnetos apply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder. (anybody wanta hold this wire? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)

At stoichiometric (exact) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture (for nitro), the flame front of nitromethane measures 7050 degrees F. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After ? way, the engine is dieseling from compression - plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in those cylinders and then explodes with a force that can blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half. (kewl beans, we love mechanical carnage! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)

To exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at an average of over 4G's. But in reaching 200 mph well before 1/2 track, launch acceleration is closer to 8G's. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

If all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs $1000.00 per second. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Top Fuel Engines turn ONLY 540 revolutions from light to light! (yellow, yellow, yellow, GO!)

The redline is actually quite high at 9500rpm

The current TF dragster elapsed time record is 4.477 seconds for the quarter mile (06/02/01 Kenny Bernstein)

Putting all of this in perspective: You are driving an average Lingenfelter powered "twin-turbo" Corvette. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start, but you still run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest
    200 mph. At this moment, the dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot hard down, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you passed him. That, folks, is acceleration. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Think about it, from a standing start, this phenomenal machine has spotted you 200mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 feet.

Now....., tell me about the time you spun the wheels and laid rubber on dry concrete.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

been posted before but still some crazy facts.

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

right on.. that was sweet

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

REPOST of a REPOST of a REPOST of a REPOST of a REPOST!

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

REPOST!!!!!!

j

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

be easy on them they don't go in the non-4x4 thats repost overload for them /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Well daggum. Those maybe old hat facts to mister oldie man Sled Dog /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif but I find that amazing. Cool post!

Allan

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes alan is old at the ripe age of 18 /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, and if you don't get it alan is my name too

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Oh shut up. And you spell your name wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Good luck to y'all.

Allan

10. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Something everybody should see in person once in their life!!!

11. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't go into non-4x4 chit chat either. It's been posted in the garage at least 3 times that I have seen.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I mean the repost thing, they aren't used to seeing that /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I know it was in here.

13. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Yaaawwwnn

14. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I've got that printed off in my room but I still read it and still found it amazing! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My buddy has the fastest drag boat in the world, so I've actually seen this stuff up close! It's soooo cool!

12 gallons of fuel for 5 seconds. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I like seeing any and all Top Fuel facts....

17. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Top Fuel Engines turn ONLY 540 revolutions from light to light! (yellow, yellow, yellow, GO!)

[/ QUOTE ]
    Top Fuel drivers only get ONE yellow light, then the green. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Top Fuel drivers only get ONE yellow light, then the green. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, they use a Pro Tree(0.400 light) rather than a Bracket Tree(0.500 light). They get 3 yellows, but they all light up at once. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Very cool facts. Even if it was reposted before, I've never read this before and found it awesome to read. And if I read it again elsewhere, I will read it again and again! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher).

The top speed record is 333.00 mph. (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run (09/28/03 Doug Kalitta).