Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So Z3PR, where do you get your facts from?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, May 10, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Something 'bout me always bringing up a certain topic............. Would you like to compare notes?????????????????????

Just curious..................
    [​IMG]
    Do ya need directions on what you are suppose to do with this little bit of information? Ask The Rock!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Seriously though, there is one more thread not included in this screenshot, and I haven't even read it 'til it came up on the fawking search. What was you saying 'bout me again????????????
    [​IMG]

2. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

dont ask me, remember im just a drunk [​IMG]

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    dont ask me, remember im just a drunk

[/ QUOTE ]
    Just remember though. It wasn't directed twords You. Even though it was Your name that was clicked. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    dont ask me, remember im just a drunk [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm just a wannabe drunk.

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Document Done: 16 secs

[/ QUOTE ]
    OUCH /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Is someone so far out in the boonies they only get 28k max like me???

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    OUCH Is someone so far out in the boonies they only get 28k max like me???

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm just a broke/cheap bastard that refuses to pay the high prices of high speed internet right not. It's a convenience, not a neccessity (yes, I'm on crack). I really don't know what the problem is, the computer is hooked up for 56K speeds, but the highest I can ever get is 33.6. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

It's your phone lines... You can only get the highest speed that your phone companie's equipment will allow. I get 49.2 kbs yet I have a 56k modem. At the last place I lived I only got 28.8...

8. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You can only get the highest speed that your phone companie's equipment will allow

[/ QUOTE ]

Partly true....if you are on copper straight out from your Central Office (CO), there is a certain amount of Loss depending on how far out you are and the number of 88mH Load Coils....generally speaking, if you are over 18K ft, you can figure 1 for every 6k ft...cable under 18k are usually not loaded....Then you have to figure "Bridge Tap", easiest to describe as 'branches" and their length and placement relative to your position on the line.....Since Most (not all) CO's work on Lucent 5ESS Switching technology (or equivalent), the Most you will get from an Office switch is 53k by Code from the FCC....

Now, if you are served by a Remote Terminal...where they feed T1 to a remote location, and mux it into 24 channels and serve 1 dial tone per channel, then because of signaling overhead and other system management uses, the Most you will get is 28.8....again depending on the length of your copper service line from the RT that serves your area.....The bandwidth simply does not exist...

UNless you are served by a Fiber fed UMC1000, or Litespan2000 which are DSL capable, and HUGELY more expensive to build ...Which Phone Companies cannot afford to install because the FCC (State PUC) REQUIRES them to make them available to Resellers (their competitors) for discount of up to 60%....which means the Local Phone companies (like SBC) are Subsidizing their competetion who in turn do Not have to invest any money into building or maintaining new facilities.....subsequently the are able to make up to a 56% Profit just by having a marketing plan...no need for facilities, no need for Field Techs...

That is why DSL Broadband is not available in most places....and why your dialup is "slow".....BTW, I'm 3500 ft from a fiber fed Series 5 SLC (probably one of the most common RT types), and I get 28.8......

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I've been drinking beer all day, that didn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense to me. Are ya saying I'm phuqued?

10. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Are ya saying I'm phuqued?

[/ QUOTE ]

Prolly.......for a while at least....depends on if ya got a Cable server like Comcast, etc in your area.....I got "Classic Cable".....they can just barely supply programming.....I asked a tech I saw working in the area about Broadband availability...he had a big o' wad in his lip.....he just spit and said, "DooWhuut?"......

11. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've been drinking beer all day,

[/ QUOTE ]
    and I get called the drunkard /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

So who was the most drunkard out of the two drunkards? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif