Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

so...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by beater_k20, May 7, 2006.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'm confused again.

i bought the 92 C1500 2 months ago, original plan was to drop it, 4/6. a couple days after i brought mine home, the neighbor guy comes home with one... 4/6, on stock wheels, just like i wanted to do.

then i come across this website... www.offroaddirect.com

considerably cheaper than ORU's SFA conversion kit, and right in the price range with dropping the truck.

so my dilemma comes from the neighbor having a lowered shortbed, and seeing lots of them around. i kinda want something different. while there are lots of lifted shorties around, none are SFA, so i'm leaning that way.

any advice to help me resolve this situation?

BTW, i'm thinking TPI 383, 700R4/SYE241(clocked), Ford HiPi D44, 14FF, 7" of lift, and 37" MTRs. ah, and 4.88 gears.

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The SFA swap sounds genius. Do it.

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Do it. BTW that Blazer looks sweet with the conversion. All it needs is a top chop and it would be baddass.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I've been considering the swap for my '95 C1500. I'd like to see some pics of a converted 2wd first, though. My friend just SAS his '96 Z71... the brackets gave him 6" of lift and he used 6" springs for a total of 12" of lift. He had some 37's and they rubbed bad, so he dropped down to 35's and they still come close. Do you mind trimming?

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

yes, i mind trimming, but i'm not beyond a set of bushwackers. i could likely solve a bunch of problems by kicking the front axle out 1.5" with a zero rate, and ditching the stock bumper for a tube bumper.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Ya, I forgot about zero rates, they would help a lot. My friend used a Chevy D44 in his because he refuses to use Ford parts... but I think a Ford axle would work a lot better. Another friend has an '03 2500HD with a 6.0 and 5 speed manual with a Ford D60 in the front sitting on 36" Iroks... ya, it's awesome

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i like the idea of the Ford front axle, because it would put the transfer case shifter in the stock location for an 88-98 truck, allowing me to make the install look completely stock. wont be trail riding with it, but playing in mud and sand is a definite possibility.

my real motivation for building it is that when i was a senior in high school we had to write down 20 life goals. we then stuck them in a self adressed, stamped envelope, and gave them to the teacher. she sent them out in '04 (5yrs after we graduated). i recently rediscovered mine. one of my goals is to drive something to my 10 year reunion that i built.

8. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

What kinda transfer case does your buddy have in his truck? And what kinda SAS brackets did he use?

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hahah! What kinda 4x4 company puts a picture of a truck with no front drive shaft on thier website? :haha: :haha:

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The one with the '96 used ORU brackets. He still has the driver drop factory t-case, so he just has a big 2 wheel drive now. He plans to get a 2wd 4L60E and use his divorced 205 from a dodge, unless he can find a t-case from a late model sub or blazer that is passenger side drop and has the VSS... but then he needs a high $$$ high angle drive shaft because the Chevy front is low pinion.

The '03 used Fabritech brackets and a Ford hi-pinion D60. His front output for the t-case was a slip yoke design from the factory, so he needed to get a SYE so he could use a regular style CV shaft. His set up works flawlessly as far as the 4x4 goes, but he has a problems with the bearings loosening up all the time.

Both of these truck gets ran hard and jumped quite often. the '03 has a track bar, and one time he jumped it the track bar smacked the aluminum oil pan and cracked it... luckily for him, he can weld aluminum, but he still had to take the pan off to do it.

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

its rumored that there is a hi pinion 60 in Illinois... we'll see what happens there.