Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SOB!!!! My 208 is CRACKED!!! 3/4ton conversion progress.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WantedaDodge, Jan 6, 2007.

1. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

I've been collecting parts for a 3/4 ton conversion and 4 in lift for my '84 Blazer for the past year. This weekend was the date I have had set for a month to swap everything over. I have a set of 35x12.50 on 16.5s off a "Late '70s Ford" that someone gave me, a 14 bolt and D44 w/ 4.10 gears(new lube and fresh grease in the hubs), a 4 inch lift kit(blocks in the rear) and all new Rancho 5000s. The tires were a little wore, but I figured I could run on these for a couple weeks till I could afford a new set of '35s.

Anyway, I used my truck to pull out a stuck forklift at work last week, popped it in 4 lo and hooked onto it with a chain, tugged the little bugger right out. That was like 3 or 4 days ago. This morning my transfer case just started gushing ATF and it was dry after about 15 minutes of sitting in the shop w/ a drip pan under it. I crawled under it, pulled the skid plate and discovered a hairline(thick hairs) crack about 2 inches long on the most lower part of the chain cover. WTF!!!??? No clunks, ran fine for 200 miles between the last time it was in 4 wheel and when it started leaking like a siv. What would cause that? I don't know if something in the case is broke or if it's just the case. Any ideas? I don't want to put any money into an NP208, but if it's just a crack, I'll pull it off and weld it up I guess. Any ideas? How much does an NP241 cost and how difficult would it be to swap out? I have a 700 R4. I want something tough that I can put good parts in and run w/ like 37.5s and 325 HP. Any suggestions? I'd go for a 205, but it seems like a tough swap for an OD, and I'm not swapping trannies now(just rebuilt it, $1500 later)

So today I tore into it. Swapped in the 14 bolt, lifted the rear 4 inches w/ blocks and put new Rancho 5000 shocks on. The E brake lines on my 14 bolt are to short on the passenger side whats the best way to extend it? Also, what is the part number for the 1310 to 1350 U joint? The brakes lines hooked up with a little redneck engineering.

So I went to put the 8 lug wheels on it I discovered they were not for a late '70s ford, but a late '90s ford and they have the metric 8x170mm bolt pattern!!!! SOB!

Luckily I had some 8 bolt dodge rims w/ 265/70R17s on them laying around off my dad's truck, so those are on there now.

Guess it's time for new wheels as well. Don't know if I should go 16s or 17s though.

Just a crappy day, atleast I got the rear bolted in... got a date with the dana 44 tomorrow.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Why not just get another 208? A 241 isn't really any stronger than a 208 anyway.

3. WantedaDodge

doesn't the 241 have bolt on yokes? I was always told it was a better case.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yeah, plus some of the '241's (1990+?) are set up for the digital speedometer / VSS / DRAC, whatever it's called.

-- A

5. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I'm having ammco trear my Th350 (1000 miles on the damn thing) down to install a smaller shaft between labor, short shaft, installing a b&m shift kit i'm looking at $350-$400 plus a Ammco Warrenty.

6. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

If you haven't droped it off with them (AAMCO) you may want to rethink. I had them do a trans for me in my mustang because it was under warranty. The torque converter was all that was wrong but they said it needed a complete rebuild anyway. I figure ok I get a free complete rebuild under warranty right. A couple of months after I get it back it starts acting funny. I take it in and they say that they cant reproduce the problem and they can't drive the car they way I do to reproduce the problem (when going 50-60 and punching it it would try to downshift but go into neutral for a second and then slam into gear). I went overseas right after that so I figured I would take it back after I returned since I had a 24 month warrenty. I got back and went back to AAMCO and now the car is shuttering very badly when going forward after backing up. I go in and they say that I only had a 12 month warrenty and won't honor my warranty even though I had my receipt with 24 month warranty stamped on it. I complain enough that they have the mechanic look at is and come up front accusing me of replacing the throttle body on the car and leaving the tv cable off at that time, ruining the trans. At that point I politely informed him that the throttle body was original (hense the ford part number sticker on it) and that an AODE was all electronic and had no tv cable that the cruise was disnconnected and the he was a dumbass and I now know why my **** don't work correctly. Anyway this was apparently a trend as they closed shop in town and are gone without fixing alot of peoples cars that were already paid for.

7. WantedaDodge

That's a shame, AAMCO used to build a good transmission. My grandfather had an AAMCO built th400/205 back in the '80s with a lifetime warranty. It's gone strong for years and a few years ago the tcase went out, they waranteed it in Arkansas,even though it was built back here in oregon.

So, what would I be looking at price wise to put in a tail shaft for a 205?

8. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that is why I chose them to do mine. They used to have a really good reputation in the late 80's and early 90's. I'm sure all shops aren't the same but that was my experiance with them.

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Was the brace/rod (right side) in place?

10. Dogman12

Dogman12 1/2 ton status

The conversion joint is 447 from napa. I would jus JB weld the crack until you find a new case, it should at least hold the fluid in. I would not waste my time taking apart and welding it, 208' s are pretty easy to come by and most time cheap.

Good luck with the swap, i am in the process myself. I went with the Goodyear RT hummer tires from Tyres international, I bought 5 tires mounted on rims w/ lugs and caps for 1044.00. shippe to my door. My rig is not a dd so i was not worried about the tires being bias ply. To good of a deal

Jesse