Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sobering occurance yesterday...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ddragggon, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I'm partialy freaking out about something that happened yesterday... guilt is trying to make me feel like I should blame myself for something I had no control over.

so, the story is as follows:

yesterday, on the way home from a long hard day at work, I dropped in at the local bar, and had a beer + Chilicheese dog. being in an antisocial attitude, I decided against lingering around, and talking with people, and headed home. driving home was uneventful (no, I wasn't drunk, or anything stupid: I know a lot better than to drive when marginaly impaired) until I parked my truck. pulled into the cul-de-sac where I live, straitened myself along the curb, killed the engine, and hopped out of the truck. out of nowhere, a kid on a bright yellow mountainbike appeared... I have no idea if he cut through from the main street that runs behind my cul-de-sac, or if he tailgated me in, and then bolted out from there, but out of nowhere this kid's flying by.

I thought about saying something like `yowzers, watch out there... cars can't see you when you sneak up on them' but, didn't say anything, as I wasn't in the mood for talking.

as I kicked my shoes off, and cranked on the TV, I popped top on a can of soda, and watched some news and whatnot for a few minutes, then settled on harry potter. about 20 minutes into it, I heard a firetruck leaving the station, and thought nothing of it, cranking the volume on my stereo up, to cover the sounds. harry potter ended, and being bored, I decided to hop in the truck, and drive down to best buy.

as I got out to the main road, I saw about 5 fire trucks, 15 police cars, a couple of meat wagons, and about 2 dozen cops wandering around. I glanced about expecting to see 2 schoolbuses crashed into a cruiseliner, but saw something at least 7 times more horrifying: 1 yellow mountainbike, smashed and mangled, laying on the sidewalk. deep down, I know I couldn't have done anything to stop this kid, but I can't help but wonder if my saying something to him would have prevented this...
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Reeeeeeeeeely doubt anything you could have said would have changed his riding. It sounds as if he was pretty reckless and if you said something to him he would have probably told you to F.O. If he had been riding more cautious, you wouldnt have to say anything and he probably wouldnt have been on the ground.

Dont worry about it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I agree w/ 88. Guy on the mountain bike made a personal choice to ride like that. Don't blame yourself.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Bummer.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Wierd when stuff like that happens. Not your fault... He wouldn't of listened.

I've told people not to turn thier wheels while sitting at a stop waiting to turn left in case someone rear ends you. Happened to a guy last week. Pushed him right over to the oncoming traffic and he got killed.

I told the owner of a Twin Otter Aircraft that his new pilot was dangerous and that he was going to crash the plane on take off one of these days. They laughed at me. The following week the idiot crashed the plane on take off with 23 of my friends on board. 17 were killed including the pilot.

Don't freak out when you see stupidity rewarded with disaster. You can't enforce intelligence.....

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: Sobering occurrence yesterday...

damn i know how you feel and it sucks you always wonder if you could have prevented it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif a very good friend gave me some great advise don't live your life thinking about what if's it will drive you nuts /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif there is nothing you could have done it is a sad event but you could not prevent it

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the kid was an idiot. you wanted to help, that makes you a good guy... but he wouldnt have listened, so dont worry about it. nuttin you coulda done,

j

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

how old was this kid? there is no talking to kids these days anyways, we just wont listen....err they LOL....but seriously...some things cant be helped..dont hold yourself accountable for someone elses bad parenting..

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah like confedneck said, I wouldn't have listened. I wouldn't have been riding like that but yeah if it was something similar I wouldn't have listened, learn from experience mostly. Sometimes there is no learning just end.

10. Confedneck

yeah i never listened to anyone when i was riding my bike around, partially because its hard to hear people at 40mph..but i also wasnt stupid enough to run out in front of traffic...stopped riding when i had a major crash at about 50mph downhill...any news on that kid in the wreck??

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I stopped riding when I outgrew my frame and couldn't afford a new one.

12. Confedneck

that was a bmx bike..mongoose actually...never too big for bmx lol...

13. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Hrm... I bought that mountain bike in June... rode it around the park a few times and haven't touched it since /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I just need to meet someone who's not lazy and has a bike, I hate doing stuff like that alone /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

yeah, I didn;t let it get too much to me... part of the sobering part, was simply because as a child I flew around on my mountainbike... I'd weave through traffic at 20 MPH, while they were doing 40-50...

no clue about the kid, and not going to worry: I've determined that a majority of the kids in my neighborhood are stupid... on the way home yesterday, there were about 6 of the lil' bastards just wandering about the roadway like some sort of mildly retarded howlermonkies. thier parents nonchalantly watched as I wove through the throngs of dumbasses. I can't wait until I get some mac truck airhorns installed... if I end up keeping burbanzilla (probably will at this point if everything works out over the next 2 or 3 months). about the only thing I can do, is drive through the neighborhood at 10 to 15 MPH, in first gear, so everyone in the city knows I'm coming.

oh well.