Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SoCal gear swap shop

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by SubYuman, Oct 25, 2005.

1. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

I REALLY need to get rid of the 3.73 in my Burb. Anyone know a shop that will give me good service at a great price? I have a 14/10.5 diff.
    THe next question is....
    I drive on the highway a lot and the sand about 10% of the time. Even with a 498, My bottom end is horrid with 3.73 and 37" tires.
    Would 4.56 or 4.88 be best. I would expect I'd pick up a few MPG since I won't need WOT to get on the freeway or pass slower cars.
    55 MPH is around 1500 rpm...
    Now if I could just figure out how to add a transfer case to my 2WD for those times when crawling is needed....
    Thanks!!!!

2. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just moved out here acouple months ago so I dont know any place off hand but I can ask some peoples for you. I have 4.56s and had 37s for a while and that worked pretty good. What kind of trans do you have? If you have OD then you could run 4.88s and be good for highway and sloxer speeds too.

3. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

A decent slush box

4l80-E with a B&M shift improver!!! I think the OD is .78:1
    SInce its a BIGGER big block, I need to watch the MPGs, I wonder if 4.88 would be too high... I can see roasting tires with that much gear, but what fun it would be.
    Where'd you come from?
    I am looking into getting a new welder and compressor and making things....

4. megahillbilly

megahillbilly Registered Member

re so cal gear shop

save yer money..... SELL THE FAB TECH....straight axle swap,then do the gears,Ill bet the first 60 you find will allready have 4:10s in it. check yhe bone yards and you will find yer rearend out there with 4:10s,wth 50 bucks in yer hand they'll trade ya steel fer steel

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Call me stupid but where in relation to el Cajon is Edwards AFB. Also there are a lot of guys on here in that area and 14FF are cake to setup just ask and offer a few beers or something and maybe they could help out. It should take maybe 1 Hour to set up in the truck.

Ira

6. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

Ok....

Five cases of beer and parts....any beer I can find at a NORMAL liquor store...including Heinie and Becks(my personal favorite before I had to stop).

As for the SFA swap...HELL no... I had a solid axle K Burb and while it was fun to crawl with and all.... having over a foot of travel is great when you're taken the ruts at 50.....I am not a true crawler anymore, sure I get off the path, but the Long travel is PLUSH.. and when you hit the road for a few thousand milees, I like being able to walk when I'm done. The kids aren't into getting dity lie to old man, and the wife is always deployed, so I can't have the Burb breakdown as much...
    Now when it's time to sell her, there is an Excursion with a Powerstroke SOMEWHERE in Texas...
    Don't get me wrong, a Solid Front is the ONLY way... we can fight all day over coils versus leaves...but for a more than 70% on road vehicle, travel beats lift....

7. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

El Cajon to Edwards

El Cajon is East of San Diego, Edwards is east of LA.... it's quite a haul, but we do get down to San Diego once and a while...what's up?