Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Socket for NP205 rear output?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, I'm pretty sure it is a 1 5/16 socket. But, the socket I have is a thick wall socket and won't fit into the yoke. Of course a trip to Sears, Monument Auto, Kragen Auto, Napa Auto, Home Depot, and Lowe's turns up no 1 5/16 thin wall sockets. :mad: This is irritating to no end. :angry1: Is there a MM equivalent? I wanted to get the driveshaft in today but that is down the crapper. Also, I go to do the install and can't find my bolts for the Corp14ff yoke. That is because I am looking for the U-bolt style ones and forgot that it has the strap style yoke. I read a write up on Pirate about swapping to a 1410 yoke ala HAD but since I already have the new 1350 driveshaft, does Spicer make a 1350 yoke for the Corp14ff that is the U-bolt style instead of the straps? :confused:

2. Desert Rat

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  3. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I picked up my 1 5/16 socket at AutoZone. It worked on my 205 yolk just fine.

Scott

4. Desert Rat

I take it that it was a thin wall one?

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I just finished up installing the rear yoke on my buddies 205 about 10 mnin ago. We used a 1 5/16 socket from craftsman and ground it down until it fit.
    The metric equivilant, or as close as you could get would be 33mm. Which sears will not have.

6. Desert Rat

I figured as much. Looks like a trip to Northern Tool, or some other tool company might be my only option other than ordering it online. Ticks me off that some places had a nice 1 3/16 thin wall high impact socket but that was the biggest.

7. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I use an old s/k 1 5/16" - 3/4" drive with an adapter. I wouldn't call it thin wall tho.

8. Desert Rat

Well, actually it isn't technically a thin wall I suppose, just the standard wall thickness instead of the really beafy walls on the one I bought which doesn't fit into the narrow yoke.

9. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Try and find a cheap socket, I had S&K and a craftsman sockets of that size that didn't fit. I bought one from ACE hardware and it worked fine.

10. NorthWestFab

NorthWestFab 1/2 ton status

We use a 3/4" Drive set in the shop that we use for pinion and yoke nuts, and adapt it down to a 1/2" Impact. Haven't come across a nut and yoke combo that the sockets wouldn't fit into.

Best part is the set and wrenches were only about $75. Haven't flinched yet. :D

11. Desert Rat

I'll have to broaden my search area today and scare one up. By the way, did you see that I posted a question for you in the vendor forum?

12. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

I didn't have any problems with the chevy yoke, But I used a f-rd cv yoke and had to grind quite a bit off a socket to fit it.

13. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

DR do you want to borrow a socket and 3/4 drive ratchet? Let me know. ;)

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My local Sears didn't have one, so I had to go to the local Farm and Fleet. Got a cheap chinese socket, and it works.

15. Desert Rat

Thanks for the offer. I figure I might as well have one in the toolbox so I'll track one down. As Tim said, I'm sure I'll find one somewhere, even if it is a cheapie. I've got the all the 3/4 goodies and any excuse to buy more tools is a good one.......

16. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Try oakridge or eastridge sears for a 3/4 drive socket. Or a snap on or Mac Tools truck.

17. Desert Rat

I already have one socket from Sears, but it is the thick wall one for the 3/'4 inch drive, that is the problem. I need to find one that is either an impact socket in 1/2 inch which are usually thinner wall or even a 3/8 (unlikely).

18. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I've got a 3/4 inch set from harbor freight, and I've use 3 different sizes on yokes without a problem, including the 1 5/16" 205 rear output.

19. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I had the same problem when doing my 60 gears. My S&K 3/4 drive 1 5/16's socket wouldn't fit cause it was too thick. I knew that the wall thicknesses were going to vary between makers, so I miced the od of one I had and went lookin for one that was smaller. The one at Napa was just smaller enough that it fit witout problems. Just measure the OD of the socket you have, and go look for another 1 5/16's socket with a smaller OD. I only had to go to two different places. Found it at Napa like I said. NO need to order some wildly expensive thinwall socket.

20. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I have a Snap-On 1/2" drive deep impact socket and I mearsured the OD for you. Its 1 7/8" dia.