Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soffseal = $$$ AreThey worth it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TopOff, Sep 10, 2002.

1. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about getting some new door seals. I keep swapping really bad ones for bad ones. I was thinking of going with LMC or getting SOFFSEAL.com SOFFSEAL's are $79.99 for a pair of door seals.

Are they worth the $???

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Wow! That sounds pretty steep. I bought the door weatherstrips from www.jcwhitney.com for around $15 per door. They look and feel just like the originals. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just get them from GM if you want quality and want them to last. I'm sure your dealer can still get you a valid part number, then you can take that to www.gmpartsdirect.com

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I have a brand new set of GM seals at home that were like $20 each. I'll get the part numbers for you when I get home tonight, if you want. </font color>

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I have the LMC seals.. My doors are still hard to close after a year since I installed them. Just to let you know /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can adjust the striker bolts a tad looser to solve that problem. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif You need a big honkin' Torx bit to adjust them, but if you move them outward just slightly, then the doors will close easier. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Pipe wrench works too...

Rene

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

For those interested my LOCAL dealer wants $40!

Yes

$40.00

YES $40.00 EACH!!!!

Gmpartsdirect.com

15522764 All W/STRIP 1 $35.08 $26.31 $20.70 $0.00
    $20.70 EACH! Plus SHIPPING at $8.28 for two. This turns into $49.68... OH yeah.. I have to cut them still. This is for a 75-81 Blazer or truck.

jcwhitney.com eh????

$17.99 each for their "Custom" version. Supposed to be a perfect fit... yeah, after I cut it for my '73 Blaze. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Looks like Gmpartsdirect wins!

Thanks everyone!

9. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

DONT BUY SOFFSEAL!!!
    I have an 85 Monte Carlo SS.. .that was fully restored... and we used soffseal... they suck @ss. Nothing lines up right.. the window seals are too stiff and poofy... and the other seals arent shaped great either... not worth the money.. just get GM!!!

10. dyeager535

Obviously door seals are still available from GM, but in a few years, we are all going to be in the same boat...nothing but aftermarket $hit to deal with. I hope you called them up and let them know. I've got to buy the rear window seal, and GM doesn't sell them anymore.

If dissatisfied customers don't let them know what kind of problems their product has, it will never change.

11. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

REALLY?!?!?!? Wow.. Never heard such a BAD experience with soffseal before.

Thanks for the info.

12. Big10

Big10 Registered Member

I went to gmpartsdirect, and couldn't find an option to choose a 78 year model. Anyone know why 73-80 models are not listed on there site?

13. dyeager535

I just don't think they bothered to catalog stuff back that far. Do a parts request ("contact us" probably, if you don't see a part request link) and they will let you know if they can get it.

14. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i had the same prob when i restored my 69 el camino ...soffseals were a pain in the a$$ to get them to fit right...all the stupid little plastic tabs that were spose to go into holes in the door to hold the seal in place dident line up on either one of the doors...ended up having to pull all the plastic tabs off and just use the glue to put em on...what a pita /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif