Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

soft door material???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HELLBENT DESIGNS, Nov 14, 2005.

1. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

looking for a suitable material for soft doors. ran across a couple, sunnbrella and outdura. anyone seen these up close? also a clear vinyl for side windows if anyone has any ideas marine grade stuff suitable? thanks :D

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Whatever mine is has held up great. The only parts that have gotten messed up are the ones I did not take care of, ie left in the bed covered in leaves and metal recovery gear. All I can say is call a boat top place, mine came from one in FLA. The other issue I had w/ mine was a zipper pull breaking. Spend the money on good ones.

[​IMG]

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Get the marine vinyl. They make some pretty thick stuff. You can get it at a local supplier (doesn't have to be a boat cover shop). Just explain what you are doing they will know what you need. Most boat covers are used during tow so 70+ mph works fine as does rain/snow and such. Also many cabin crusier style boats have enclosable decks for heavy winds rain/ and towing as well. The clear vinyl is pretty strong.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im gonna use sunbrella for my bikini top. Its supposed to be good with water/salt/UV. Maybe its just me, but I like the look of a canvas material better than vinyl...

j

5. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

yeah i like the flat look of the canvas rather than shiny vinyl. so sunbrella has a canvas look? hard to tell from a color sample on the computer!