Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft Doors

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigd, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Making some soft doors for mine and a friends Blazer.Almost have one Frame built.Does any one have personal experience with any upholsterers in colorado_Or does any body in colorado do this kind of work.Thanks.
    link too a pic

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1414928&a=10579969&p=45771543&f=0>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1414928&a=10579969&p=45771543&f=0</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Bigd on 04/04/01 07:57 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Man, that sounds cool! Hope you show us some pics! Hav eyou thought about calling Bestop? I think they are in Colorado, maybe they could do some "custom" work for you??

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>How did you make the frames? Post the pictures when you get them up. Here's a drawing of what I'm going to make soon, I just need to know how to make the frames.

[​IMG]</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Bestop won't even make a standard K5 soft top in any color other than black. [​IMG] It ain't like they don't have miles of fabric laying around the factory! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. Rayven90

Rayven90 Registered Member

Hey, There are all kinds of guys in Denver that Make custom boat covers, the kind you drive with, Call a local Marina I bet they would point you in the right directoion. Some guys made one for a old boat of mine. They are usually good fabricators and offer a wide variety of materials.

Good Luck,

Ray

6. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I will have some pics up tommorrow of the frame.I'm making mine out of 1/2 emt tubing.Its cheap and plenty strong for what i'm using it for.I was going too go the half stock door then make a top half but when i started i said what the hell just make a full one.It takes alot measureing and bending.But mine seals all the way around on the stock gasket.I have a soft top too.Soo the seal around the window won't be the greatest but the stock doors never sealed very good ethier.I'll try some local boat and convertable top people for the vinyl work.

7. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>What did you use to bend the tube?</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

8. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    A 1/2 inch EMT bender works great for bending 1/2 inch EMT lol.....check home depot cheap enough that you could never use it again and not worry

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

9. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I have a 1/2 and 3/4 emt bender.They have differnet radius.You can bend the 1/2 emt with the 3/4 bender if your carfull and it gives you a bigger radius.Also a 38 inch swamper makes a nice bender for the small tweaks.Didn't get it finished tonight hopefully tomorrow.

10. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

i took a door and just cut the post off of it then took a plasma cuter and cut down in kinda like your drawings then i rig a hidden door and leaver so i could i also open it so i can pput the normal doors put 1x1 tubing in the insisde in fives spots for braceing and then sheet metal over them

Bandit
    (Your right i dont understand the jeep thing)

11. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Got a pic.