Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft Doors

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigd, Apr 13, 2001.

1. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Got one of my soft doors done what do you all think.Got some photos of it on the truck.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1414928&a=10579969>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1414928&a=10579969</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Bigd on 04/17/01 09:01 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>That looks pretty cool do you have any pictures of the frame, latches or hinges?</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

3. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>That looks pretty cool do you have any pictures of the frame, latches or hinges?</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

4. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Sweet! I want a set. Can you list some of the components you used to make the doors? Those would look good on my Blazer with my new soft top. Post some more pics please.

74 Blazer
    Kashmir
    Zepplin

5. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

Definately keep us updated on how you made these doors and how they work out. I know that I am interested in removing my heavy steel doors.

6. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I'll get some pictures of it today mounted on the truck.I welded some tabs on the out side for some padlocks just to prevent an easy theft.I need some ideas for the latchs on the inside.I was thinking of using seat belt latchs and welding them too the door and the front bar on my cage not sure yet.

7. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

link too photo album

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1414928&a=10579969>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1414928&a=10579969</A>

8. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

That is one serious k5 you got! What kind of soft top do you have?

- SlyDog [​IMG]

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Man, everyone has all this cool stuff and I can't get time or money to get my junk together. [​IMG] Oh well, sour grapes and all that. Nice job! That is my kind of truck and I like the soft doors.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

10. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Hey BigD,

I got a few questions. Does the door still open the same way? It looks like the hinges are in the back instead of the front. Unless that is the latches you were talking about. What kind of tubing did you use?
    Where did you get the material and the clear plastic to cover the doors? At a boat shop or something?
    How do they fit? It looks like it compliments the soft top really well.

The reason I ask is because I just put on my soft top on my 74. My doors aren't in the best shape and I rather have soft doors.

The doors look great! Could you post what kind of tubing, vinyl covering and various other components and specs. you used to make these? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks BigD!

74 Blazer
    Kashmir
    Zepplin

11. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>Looks good. How is the wind noise on the highway? It looks like it would create a lot of drag since the doors are recesed in the openings. Now that I look at those, mine will have to open the same way to keep the front of the top half of my doors (I'm making inserts like on an early bronco and my doors will be 2 peice like on a jeep) from hitting the dash before they're open enough. Do yours pull off like on a jeep, or do your hinges unbolt?</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

12. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

They do open suicide.I did this so you could still open them and spot a front tire.But it also helps with getting it sealed.But you could easily hinge them the other way if you wanted too.I used EMT tubing it is cheap and light i think it was 1/2 inch.It is a bitch too weld though.I had a local upholsterer cover the door.I would reccomend it unless you have a bad ass sewing machine and have experiance at this stuff.For a latch i'm stilling working on that.
    Haven't had it on the highway yet as i'm still putting a doubler together.But it seals on the stock rubber all the way around till you get too the top and back of the window.I had a 2 inch flap of vinyl sewn there too seal against the softtop.I don't think i would hear it over the dual exhaust no carpet on the floors and super swampers anyway.Hopefully it will be nice enough too have them off most of the time.They just open then pull up too come off.Hope that answers your guys questions.
    I was going too make inserts from my doors and just weld them in them make a door that fits that.But the stock doors just made me too mad didn't want too look at them anymore.

13. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info BigD. I think I will put that on my list for things to do this spring. I love driving without the doors on.
    Especially when I am parked next to a Heep at a stop light. I like looking down at them and then I like to point and laugh at their little 4.0L sticker on the hood!

74 Blazer
    Kashmir
    Zepplin