Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft doors?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lochenjons, Jan 19, 2007.

1. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

I know its kinda a heep thing, but has anyone done something like this for chevys? I figure it wouldnt be too hard o get some old doors, cut out everything but a small outside border and attach sunbrella or some kind of fabric with a window sewn in. Would make taking on and off those quick release doors a whole lot easier :haha:. And they could be easily switched out with regular doors with the quick release

2. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

This seems like a good idea if any one has done this or seen this type of door post up some pics for us to see. Thank you guys.

3. lochenjons

It would probably have to have support bars on the inside to support whats left of the door. And I'm thinking the bottom half the fabric would be permenately attached and the upper half would attach by velcro or something and also have a window in it. This way you could still "roll down the windows". Looks like I may just have to be the first to try this after I get all my other projects out of the way

4. richheezee

richheezee 1/2 ton status

i been wondering what soft cj or yj doors would look like on our trucks with junkyard doors being used as a frame.

5. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I just might beat you. Right now I'm looking at using the outer perimeter of a factory door, or a tube door that follows the perimeter of the door opening, and using snaps on the inside. I'll have the fabric made at a boatshop.

6. lochenjons

Ha I'm sure you'll beat me, first i got get my truck to idle without stalling, finsih/start my custom softop, install my roll bar, fix whatevers gonna break when I 4wheelin' next weekend, find some really cheap doors and get me a sawzall (no more of that jig saw, its just not cutting it most of the time). And throw my twin stick build into their somewhere too :crazy:. I actually have money for once :laugh: since I sold my old 33"s tires and rims for $200 (got my new-to-me 35"s with way more tread and rims for $234 :p:) I should be able to finish my softop next week before it starts raining again. I think a tube door would be too hard to make watertight unless you mean the snaps go on to the inside of the cab that might look a little weird tho

7. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

What I'm envisioning with the tube doors is the snaps screwed into the tube on the inside of the truck. That way the material of the door wraps around the tube. Originally I decided this based on asthetics, then I thought about it and I figure that a gasket of sorts (imagine a 'T' shaped rubber strip with the 'stick' of the seal covering the door gap) could be sewn on the fabric. Tough to describe. Though I found that with the sides rolled up on my soft top, very little rain got inside the truck even in a driving rain. Vinyl seats, and no carpet also makes it nearly a non issue.

Are you going to post your soft top progress? That is another project I'm interested in doing. In fact I assume for the most part I WILL be doing that this spring. I'll be posting my progress for sure as I think this is a hot topic around here.

8. lochenjons

I see. thats gonna be crazy getting the tube to fit, I wish I could fab something that good...or at all. Post up some pics of the soft top! I need inspiration for this week

9. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I won't have anything to post for a while yet. I already have an old Kayline. It is great, and works flawlessly, however I bought it used and had to install it the way the PO did, which wasn't correct. Like I said, it works but it kinda bugs me in a few areas. So I am going to replace a bunch of the hard parts first. Then I'll probably replace the actual fabric top as it is a little old and the vinyl is starting to crack on the edges. When I'm finished though, it will be easy for someone to follow what I did without having bought a kit in the first place.

10. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

i wanted to build some off of some tube doors with lexan to keep cold air off but still have visibility and use like 4 cotter pins to keep the lexan on

11. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

That's a good idea too. I'll give that some consideration.

12. peter redman

peter redman Registered Member

check out the tech section in this site. it used to tell you how to do this.

13. lochenjons

You sure? I dont see anything about it there :confused: