Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

soft,flexy springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 3car, Dec 20, 2001.

1. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

its time to lift my project.i need soft riding ,flexy springs with about 6"of lift.which are the best for those needs?

eatin'fords and shittin'dodges down in the sunshine state.

2. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

Tuff Country E-Z Ride would be real nice and they are a good price

<font color=purple>I put the Panic in Hispanic</font color=purple>[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

don't get pro-comps, mine are really stiff but i'm gonna try some stuff to soften up the ride like ORD greasable bushings.

LOOK OUT MOAB, HERE COMES THE SUB!!!!!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Tough Country EZ or BDS would be my choice. I'm leaning toward BDS.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

national spring

Surfing is Life...

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You said it buddy. If you've got the cash, National is who you're looking for.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. BadDog

Good point, he did say "best" and "flexy" didn't he. Not a word about "best cost" or anything of the sort. Given a deep enough pocket, yeah, I would definitely go National.

Russ

8. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

I would not recommend the Nationals, I have got a tweaked set of 6" Rear Nationals sitting in my carport that I replaced with a set of Alcans. The Alcans are cheaper and better quality in my opinion. If you are going to flex the Nationals very much you will probably bend them.
    Russ

9. GMtrucklover

GMtrucklover Registered Member

I also in the market for the same thing and i have never heard of the alcans or nationals. Can you point me in the right direction to find out more about them.

74 gmc work truck
    87 k5 blazer hardcore wheeler
    90 suburban family hauler/snowmobile
    96 gmc k1500 daily driver/tow vehicle

10. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

11. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

THANKS.WHAT DO THE NATIONAL AND ALCAN SPRINGS COST?

12. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

I run rear Nationals out of our Class 8 race truck (that were two season tested) now in my k5 for 3 years BEST DAMN springs around. Cost I think is around $300.00 a piece. Thats my opinion.

13. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I, too, am getting ready to go with 6" for my trail rig. I would recommend a 2" spring and 4" shackle flip in the rear. This keeps the arch of the springs much smaller than that of a true 6" spring. This will generate a softer ride and more flex.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

14. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Alcan is where I'm going, and I priced a set of 58" rear springs with 2" lift a while back and they said like $225 to $250 a piece. 50" front springs with 5" lift were like $200 a piece.
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

15. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

When you say a piece, do you mean per leaf pack? Or per pair? $200 per leaf pack is pretty dawgone high. I guess they may be worth it, but, damn!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

16. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, per leaf pack!! yep, $$$$$, but you do get what you pay for. They're all custom built to your needs, so that's why they're kinda $$$ I've seen them in person on Titanics truck, and are really high quality springs. Use military wraps, and lots of leaf per leaf pack. I'm still thinking and researching before I really commit. Price Nationals, and they're even higher!!
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

17. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info!

18. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I gotta quick question...
    If I used a 6-inch lift spring from say SkyJacker in the front and used a 2-inch lift spring in the rear with a shackle flip, wouldn't the truck ride kinda funny...like soft in the rear and stiff up front (due to the big arch in the front springs as opposed the the relatively small arch of the rear spring)? Aside from the ride, won't the springs flex totally differently...?Should I be concerned about thius type of stuff or should I just do a 6" lift in from via springs and a 6" lift in the back via a 4" shackle flip and 2" springs?Thanks

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

19. BadDog

Without a flip, rear springs always have more arch for the same lift. The front springs, at factory height, are reverse arch. Rear springs have a positive arch at stock height. A 4" lift on the front doesn't really change the ride due to the change from negative to positive arch. A flip in the rear nets 4" with factory arch. The two match relatively close in arch with the flip. Net result is a flip in the rear and lift springs in the front keeps the rear from getting too hard due to excessive arch. This is a gross over-simplification but serves as a general explanation...

Russ

20. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

I would definitely recommend the smaller lift in the rear with the shackle flip if you intend to twist it up any. That is what bent my rear nationals. The tall arch combined with the thinner 1/4" leaves. It puts a lot of pressure on the single top leaf on the ends. I imagine Nationals are great for what they primarily build them for, shorter lifts on race trucks. When it comes to a taller lift I think you need a slightly thicker leaf like the alcans. Not to mention the ridiculous high price and wait time on the Nationals. Just my opinion from running both of them.
    Russ