Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SOFT LOCKER? What is it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Mar 20, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=1183&occlass=DETL&cat=Drivetrain

With the new soft locker at virtually no additional cost, you can reduce engagement noise levels. Special conical insert dampens engagement levels.
    DET225S-10 GM 14-bolt 10.50" - all ratios $415.93

[​IMG]

SO IS THIS BETTER THAN A REGULAR DETROIT?
    Less clunking tells me less friction, still have traction but it turns better? Anyone run one in a 14bolt?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well the SKU (part #) for 4wheelparts starts out DET we know it is a Detroit brand by Tractech. http://www.tractech.com/Products.htm I do not see that name on their site. Must be new or they(4wheelparts) changed the name. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    SOFT LOCKER? What is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a locker that is soft /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. jjlaughner

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Special conical insert dampens engagement levels.

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's a "new design" of the Detroit Locker. Those special inserts just prevent the locker from making you think that the transmission just fell out on the road as it engages. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    special inserts just prevent the locker from making you think that the transmission just fell out on the road as it engages. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    Thats what I'm wanting to avoid /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. jjlaughner

SO IS THIS BETTER THAN A REGULAR DETROIT?
    Less clunking tells me less friction, still have traction but it turns better? Anyone run one in a 14bolt?

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

this replaced the standard detroit for the 14bff. It was a newer better design.

9. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    this replaced the standard detroit for the 14bff. It was a newer better design.

[/ QUOTE ]

THATS what I want to hear! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There are not any "friction" devices in a Detroit Locker. Just square teeth that engage and disengage as it locks and unlocks. Many people believe that a locker works like an open diff and then only "locks" when needed. In reality it works just the opposite. Most of the time a locker stays locked, just like having a spool in the diff. When one tire tries to rotate faster than the ring gear, the locker will completely disengage the axle on that side and let it freewheel to somewhat provide a differential effect. When the speed of the wheel and ring gear match up again, the locker will re-engage. On earlier Detroit Lockers the teeth sometimes really slammed when engaging. The new Soft Locker just added the inserts that soften the blow by engaging the teeth just slightly more slowly.

11. jjlaughner

That makes sense /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif When I said friction I meant the surface to surface connection of the locker (square teeth as you put it), snapping back closed and relocking causing the the "big bang" did I drop my tranny feeling /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I run a soft locker in mine. It is just as durable as the original, has no extra moving parts and such. The main change is the spring rate. They use a lighter rate spring that allows the plates to pass each other easier, and when done it returns to locked with less force. My dana 60F lockright is way louder than my 14FF. I have only really heard the detroit a dozen times or so in the last 7 months.

If any thing above is wrong let me know and I will correct it.