Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft riding lift kit????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ta69man, Oct 29, 2004.

1. ta69man

ta69man Newbie

I have an '88 K5 with 35" AT KO BFG's and a 4" lift. The lift consists of springs in the front and blocks in the rear. The rear was still sagging so I added a leaf to the springs to level out the truck. I have been running this setup for about 2.5 years now. My problem is that it is stiff as a board....not much flex....and riding down a mildly bumpy road will just about send me and any passengers thru the roof (I actually one time had a girl in the back that hit the top from a bump in the road that just sent her flying.) Anyway, Now I'm looking for a better ride for the old truck...the stuff I have now is 'ruff country' I think. The truck sees more streets now than anything. Any suggestions would be good. Also I might go to a 6" lift for more tire clearence. Thanks.....TA69MAN

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've just taken a leaf out of the front packs and the big add-a-leaf out of the rears of a 4" pro comp lift kit and it rides like my stock '91 now. I'm just making up some 'zero rates' to compensate for the loss of hieght but steve sells them anyway if you don't want to make them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Switch your lift springs out. Rough Country is just that from what I understand, rough. My Jeep has 3" RC's in it and the axle might as well be welded to the frame they are so stiff.

Get a set of BDS or a set of Tough Country EZ Rides ( NOT HD's) I have the HD's and they are still stiff. I am not a fan of TC but the 3 leaf EZ ride is supposed to have a softer spring rate then my HD's.

More lift = stiffer springs. So a 6" lift will be worse then a 4" lift. Get a 4" lift and a 1" zero rate for the front will net you 5" lift with a 4" ride. Out back I would say get yourself a shackle flip if you are not towing anything heavy and loose the add a leaf. You will probably need the zero rate there too.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Rough Country is just that from what I understand, rough.

[/ QUOTE ]

My 6" Rough Country springs have double tapered leafs and teflon wear pads, they ride just as good as any other spring, except maybe the TC 3 leaf (never been in a truck with these). The older Rough Country springs will ride like a log wagon.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have an '88 K5 with 35" AT KO BFG's and a 4" lift. The lift consists of springs in the front and blocks in the rear. The rear was still sagging so I added a leaf to the springs to level out the truck. I have been running this setup for about 2.5 years now. My problem is that it is stiff as a board....not much flex....and riding down a mildly bumpy road will just about send me and any passengers thru the roof (I actually one time had a girl in the back that hit the top from a bump in the road that just sent her flying.) Anyway, Now I'm looking for a better ride for the old truck...the stuff I have now is 'ruff country' I think. The truck sees more streets now than anything. Any suggestions would be good. Also I might go to a 6" lift for more tire clearence. Thanks.....TA69MAN

[/ QUOTE ] Yeap, that does sound like what you get with Rough Country. I would call up ORD, and order some Tuff Country front springs, thier 4" shackle flip, and either zero rates or consitter replacing the worn out rear springs. That's just what I'd do if I wanted a quality ride with 4" of lift.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Also let a little air out of the tires , you can run about 28 psi on the street and still have good manners , assuming you aren't carrying a load of course , with a load or a trailer run 35 psi /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif