Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

soft top alternative maybe?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kontradictions, Jan 4, 2007.

1. kontradictions

kontradictions 1/2 ton status

as most of us that arent able to get our hands on a decent soft top now a days for our blazers, i ran across this site for a possible alternative.

http://www.wildyoats.com/canvas_top_tech.htm

The way it's layed out and built seems pretty straight forward and easy to do. I for see about a $300-$400 project that could be well worth it.

Im researching the cheapest place to get the canvas material now and going to get started on this asap...

2. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about doing something similar to this, but probably using electrical conduit. I have hundreds of canvas pup tents that i think will work great for this as well, I just gotta get around to doing it, so much stuff to do...mmmm TPI :)

3. kontradictions

it looks really simple and something that could be made over a weekend, as long as you have all the materials and tools needed to get it done.

Im gathering all the stuff now and will do a little how-to i guess of what i did, as long as it turns out nice so maybe someone else might benefit from it.

4. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

I made my own, It works pretty well... not watertight but pretty water resistant.
    gabe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. kontradictions

looks good, i wouldnt go as far to build that extension, but i am sure you had your reasons for it and it definitly works.

what type of materials did you end up using to build the top; canvas, metal, snaps, zippers, straps, ect...

Id be interested to see what all is being used, since i have yet to ever see a soft top manufactured by these companies in person.

6. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

The extention covers the rear toolbox when it is opened so that I have a sheltered place to work when we are out on the trail. I did it with two paint poles that telescope out. The frame I welded up out of 1 inch square and the canvas is actually cordura nylon I got at northern tool.
    gabe