Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

soft top, big tires & gears

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lew, Apr 11, 2000.

1. lew

lew Registered Member

Hello again folks.
    Thanks for the help on the no start prob i had after a cam change. Feel like an idiot but it ended up being fouled plugs.
    Looking at putting a 4 inch lift on my 86 K5 and 35 12.50 15 pro comp Muds or Mickey Thompson Radial claws. gear ratio is 3.08.
    How will the truck run with these stock gears. I use it mostly for daily driving and occasional wheeling at the moment. Live in nevada so hardly ever get to mud bog. what gears would you recomend and why?
    Also do any of you know of a place that I can get a convertable top that still lets me carry passengers in the rear seat. I looked at skyler and them do not. Does not need to be a full cover a bikini type would do.

Thanks for the help.

Happy wheelin, And dont forget to "Check Six" (Pilot term for watch your butt...)

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>It all depends on what trans you have. If you have a TH350, TH400, or 4-spd manual, 4.10 or 4.56 would be the right gears, but if you have a 700R4 or an NV4500 you would need 4.56 or 4.88 gears. this is becuase the overdrive in these trans' lowers the highway RPM's so you can run lower gears in the axles.

As for the soft top, i found this one on Off Road Design's website. http://www.offroaddesign.com[​IMG]

3. lew

lew Registered Member

Forgot that spec.

It is a 4 speed auto. Thanks for the top tip!

4. 1badgmc

1badgmc Registered Member

How about a similar soft top that doesn't require any drilling? I will NOT drill into my truck.

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Such a top has yet to exist, but I think that one only requires drilling in the tailgate. I think one might be coming out soon</font color=blue>

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well guys, such a top does exist... http://sites.netscape.net/mikesthmpr/thumper. I am feeling worse every day that I havent wrote up an article yet about how I did my top... but its coming! My top lets rear seat passengers sit there in comfort, and the only drilling I did into the metal was in the tailgate. The pics on my site arent the best in the world, but I am working on an article for the K5 site that will include very good pics, and detailed instructions for anyone interested. There has been a ton of interest in my top from guys here since the warm weather has arrived, and I have answered lots of questions. Check back in the listings for previous posts, or give me a short while to get my article submitted!
    Sheesh! Maybe I should patent the thing! [​IMG]

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

7. lew

lew Registered Member

thanks for the tips.

If any of your have pics of your blazers with 4" lifts and 33's or 35's please email them to me.

Thanks again.

skyway@oasisol.com

8. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

9. TxBlzr

TxBlzr Registered Member

i have a 91' k5 with 33's and a 2.5" susp. lift and it likes nice and as the soft top i'm pulling a thumper making my own and as for the drilling i don't want to drill my tailgate so i was thinking about do what jeeps do and i think that just have a piece of canvas or what ever the top is made pull tight across the bed to prevent water to get in and prevent drilling.....just an idea

"Too much to do too little time...and money"