Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

soft top cleaning?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86blazerk5, Jun 18, 2002.

1. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Hey fellow Soft Top owners. I forget what kinda soup you are suppose to use. Isnt it Ivory Concentrated Dishwashing Liquid? thanks,
    Ike

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I use car wash soap and then put a UV type protectant on like 303protectant spray. McGuires(sp?) sells plastic window cleaner too. But if your windows are already foggy then your hosed /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif
    Good luck

3. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

my experience with dish soaps is that they can be a little harsh for the automotive applications...stripping wax, dressings, etc. something about the ph balance in dish soap being designed to cut vegetable oil...which is pretty much what wax is.
    i would go for 'any brand' of car wash & wax soap...maybe some vinyl top 'wax' if you can locate it. that's how i take care of mine anyway.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I forget what kinda soup you are suppose to use

[/ QUOTE ] My guess would be that tomato or chicken noodle would be much better than split pea or clam chowder.... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I just hose mine off and use a vinyl spray on cleaner but not on the windows just a wet cloth on them....

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You might try a boat supply, they make special cleaners for boat cover etc.

6. 86blazerk5

Opps, /forums/images/icons/blush.gif Soup... Funny, I dont think that would help the cleaning process.

Yeah, I have ordered the 303 protectant and stuff from a Guy on the site. I forget his exact user name at the moment. Rugger or something like that. Anyway. I just remember reading once or twice that you are suppose to use Ivory dishwashing Liquid, not detergent. Becuase the Ivory Dishwashing liquid is for people with pretty hands... Anyway its not suppose to strip the waterproofing material like other sopes would. I am asking becuase I wanted to see if i bought the right stuff, But i guess different people use different stuff. I am asking reference to really washing it like if Brid poo or mud were to get on it and hosing it just dosnt work... If anyone else has heard this and can help me please do so. Thanks.
    Ike

7. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Hey didn't forget about you have your stuff boxed and ready to go, just need to drop it off at ups or the post office. I've been a bit busy, i'm trying to make up for lost time from rain early in the boating season. Its supposed to rain tomorrow so i'll get it out asap and let you know the cost of everything.

Most dish washing liquids such as dawn, ajax, joy are detergents which are harsher than soap such as ivory. Why do I use Ivory soap on canvas such as sunbrella a) it works with out striping the waterproofing and b) the guy that makes the best canvas in the area recommends it. Canvas for some boats can cost as much as a new suburban. So if i ruin it i have to replace it. So I trust his recomendation. Here is the link to cleaning sunbrella.

http://www.sunbrella.com/usa/boating.html

8. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

My brother has a mustang convertable with a white top. He found some actual convertable top cleaner and protectant at the auto store.

9. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I havent looked closely at mustang soft tops but im guessing they are a vinyl type material not canvas but i could be wrong. White convertable cleaner usually has a bleaching agent in it, which can be hard on the threads that hold the top together. Normal weekly washing with a fine bristled brush goes along way to keep white convertable top clean without using harsh chemicals. I would save the specialty cleaners for when it gets overly dingy. Happen to know what brand he got?
    rugger

10. 86blazerk5

Hey Rugger, I knew you hadnt forgoten. I was just trying to rember what it was people say to use to clen the tops. I guess I was right. send me a PM when you get everything figured out. Thanks again.
    Ike

11. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

I dont recall the brand he has but I do know that most of the time he just takes a bucket of soapy water and a brush and scrubs the top and then when the top is real dirty or there is bird $hit on it then he uses the convertible top cleaner on it.