Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft top fabrics? And soft top mounts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lochenjons, Jan 21, 2007.

1. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

I working on making my own soft top and am wondering about fabrics. I looked at some army tarps at the army surplus store and didn't really like what they had and I'd rather it be black too. Ive heard good things aobut sunbrella should I go with this? If so, should I get it from some local boating place, ebay or ??? I'd really like it be really flexible so it'd be easy to fold up but durability is my main concern (and cost of course :D)

Also how should I go about making the mounts that are on the bedrails? Just a simple L shape metal? Could I get away with using something flimsy like sheetmetal so it'd be easy to bend to the shape I want? Should I have the mounts continue all the way over the back of the cab or should I attach the snaps or velcro or whatever I use directly to where the weatherstripping normally goes with the hardtop?

Any other suggestions, etc? Ill have plenty of pics once I get this finished.
    thanks in advance guys:D

2. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I'd go with Sunbrella. Really nice stuff.

Why not use a U channel? Hilti makes some really nice stuff for construction work that would adapt well to this sort of project, plus it will give you a strong & flexible mounting point for your rails to attach to. You might even be able to figure out a way to wrap the channel with the fabric & clamp it to the head & jambs of your cab to seal it all up.

Good luck,
    Buddy

3. lochenjons

Yeah I'm definately leaning towards sunbrella at this point. The U channel is kinda what I'm looking for, but I'm thinking more of an "L" shape. I went over to home depot since its down the street to get ideas and they didn't really have much. I'm also gonna need some metal tube for the rear support (the front supports gonna be the roll bar) they kinda had that at home depot but not really. Any good places to get tubing cheap? It doesnt have to be anything hardcore just something to hold the top up with

4. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

the bows from my stc top is made out of 1/2" electrical conduit.Wouldnt be hard to replicate if you had one to go by.

5. lochenjons

6. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

In Calif. there is a chain of stores called Industrial Metal Supply that sells Aluminum "U" channel that I would use. they have a ton of sizes an styles to choose. Check them out at industrialmetalsupply.com.

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I saw something on a pickup that looked pretty neat. It was about 6 hoops that fit into a channel on top of the bed rails. When I saw it all 6 hoops were rolled to the front behind the cab and when needed it looked like you rolled them out into place and the top snapped to the outside of the channel. It was going down the road so couldn't tell who the maker was.

8. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Have you seen a soft top (Kayline or STC up close). If not I'll send you pics tomorrow of the hardware. They use, as will I, angle stock. I plan on using the same stuff Home Depot uses. For the cab I'll use aluminum flat stock, which is essentially what the STC one uses. There's has a slight step in it but it isn't necessary.

Ideally, by the time I get around to making mine, I'll have found a source for the 'channel' that STC uses for the fast track version. Which you might find a boat shop might have access to.

Personally I think U channel is too bulky and would be unsightly when the top was down.

9. lochenjons

Ive never seen one in person, Ive tried finding pics but havent got much. i agree with the u channel being too bulky and would love to see the pics

10. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

Ill try to snap a few pics next time I have mine off.

11. k30bb468

k30bb468 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here's the parts list from the install instructions
    Kayline parts list (Small).jpg
    & here's a pic of the rails & bows uninstalled
    01-22-07 004 (Small).jpg

Kayline parts list (Small).jpg

01-22-07 004 (Small).jpg