Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

soft top/ hard top can it come off? how do I know

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, Mar 19, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

all this talk about summer time- and running topless has made me wonder- how do I know if my top can come off? Was it just certain years, or certain "trim models"??? its an 86 if that makes a difference.

I'd love to take it off, if its "suppose" to ....

Brandy

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

from 69 all the way to 91 the top is removable. 76-91 only the back half comes off.

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

there will be some bolts across the area above the front seat and then there will be some more bolts on the rails that are under your rear windoes and off it comes...

4. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

If the top has never come off before, dont forget about the two bolts in the verry back that go from the uderside of the side rails up into the top. There is one on each side of the truck. You will have to remove the side panels in the rear enough to get the ratchet in there and take them out, once you get them out, throw them away, dont ever put them back in... They are a pain in the @$$. Good luck,
    Ike

5. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ya I have a 73 (duh)so mine are all visable..but you got the idea...

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

well right now mine are visible too I haven't had any interior in it cept the 3 seats for a year! LOL

thanks guys! once the snow is done, looks like she may be going topless!!

Brandy

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Another thing when you are bolting it back on, make sure to tighten the bolts on the cab first(not the bedrails) so it doesn't leak. Also you don't have to put every single bolt back in, I only use 4 or 6 with no leaks

8. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

And don't forget to replace those security torx bolts with something like hex or allen bolts. They are a lot easier to remove and find the correct socket/bit for. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    Why would someone break into your truck to steal your top and not the entire truck? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif ... but then again stranger things have happened.