Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft Top Hoop Measurements Pleeeeeease

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Polaris, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Joe asked:
    Can someone measure their softtop hoops? Total length, up the sides, across the top and the radius of the bends? Also the size of the L brackets down the side and the width of the bulkhead aluminum. May just be getting a snap top without the hardware as I can make the hardware myself. Just trying to save on the killer exchange rate and dying to get the top off.
    Thanks guys and gals.

Joe Angelicchio
    http://community.webshots.com/user/jangelicchio
    Lisle, Ontario, CANADA

And I'm just pleading along with him, can't someone help us out who want to make our own? Pretty please? I have a tonneau cover now and everything! Just need some kind of hoops so the tonneau is not sitting on my kid's heads. I'm very grateful for any help. Thanks!

2. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Hey Andrea, THANKS. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Actually thank YOU, because for some blonde reason it never occured to me to ask for them. My kids are getting a little too much sun at times, and last night froze their little selves on our way home! Too hot during the day to put the hard top back on. Now c'mon you guys... break out those tape measures and digital cams! Maybe I can put a tech article on my site about it?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Joe, one of the things I recall was the aluminum strip on the back of the cab was a custom extrusion. The width was about 1.25" and it was about .125" thick where it screwed to the back of the cab and about .188-.250 thick where the snaps were attached. It was not a plain flat stock...it was stepped down it's length.

I don't have the top anymore for any more measurements though...

rene

5. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Yeah I noticed that from the instruction manual. Thanks.

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I've been out fartin' around with a tonneau cover that we had sitting new in the box, for the past couple of hours. Either I need the hoops or I need $500 for a soft top, that's all there is to it! In other words, it's sunblock and blankets til next year /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

We do have access to a pipe bender, tubing, and a welder to perhaps make a roll cage or bar. My hubby has done a little welding, not much, but they bend pipe at the shop that he manages, for exhaust. Apparently the sharp angles for a rollbar make it unlikely to work. I was eyeing up our tent poles in the garage but I'd better leave them alone. Let me know what you all come up with.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you can find a way to attach it to the back of the cab the hoops wouldn't be hard to figure out. On my Kayline there was a formed piece of channel that bolted to the top of the bedside 34" back from the cab. It had a few holes in it and IIRC the front holes were for the front hoop which leaned forward about 20 degrees off of vertical. From the front hoop there were two support bars that went from the hoop to the back of the cab...these were about 20" long and just fit in a drilled hole at the back of the cab near the body seam. Look at the back of the cab in the upper corner area and you'll see where I mean.
    The rear hoop went from the same channel on the bedside to the rearmost part of the top and was attached to the top using snaps and a flap of material. The thing that kept the top taut was a couple of straps from the top of the rear hoop to some 'footmen' loops at the rear top corners of the bed.

I am not sure if any of that helps you but it's the most i can recall from memory.

Rene