Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft Top - How loud and how cold?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by homemadesin, Oct 28, 2002.

1. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

I just put my hardtop back on after taking it off for the first time. I had a momentary lapse of reasoning and left the back hatch open while pulling out of the garage.......

Needless to say, the rear hatch is toast. So, I'm thinking this is the excuse I need to invest in a soft top. So, with my use of the vehicle, what do you think:

(1) daily driver, 50 miles a day R/T
    (2) Colorado - the high Wednesday is forecast 32F!!!!
    (3) currently only have the original AM radio with what??? 2 watts?

Instead of fixing the H/T, I would like to go S/T year-round. But, I don't what to freeze my a$$ off either.

What do ya think?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I ride topless/soft top year round. But I live in Calif. and it doesn't get as cold as that but maby for a few days in the thick of winter. But I have taken my K5 skiing and staying in the high country during winter. I have a good working heater and I stay warm with that and the normal cold weather clothing. Now the back seat will be harder too keep warm but the riders in the back can just use the blanket I keep draped across it!
    Noise? Yes it is noisier. I have a full cage and the top will slap the cage padding on the top of the cage. I installed two footman loops to the tailgate then used two sinch straps to the softtop frame/bar at the rear to keep the top nice and tight and that minimizes the noise very well. Sometimes I have to put a shirt inbetween the top and cage while on the hwy to completely get rid of the slap slap slap slap noise.
    All in all I like my soft top WAY more than my hard top.
    I have the Kayline snap top,first style. I have been running it for well over 8yrs now and it is starting to fall apart on me. The two rear zippers for the rear window are busted. The windows are cloudy/fuzzy. The rear window busted a crack in it one year when I tried rolling it up while the plastic window was very cold. I guess cold=crack when talking plastic window talk!?? hehe
    I am due for and new top. I am thinking custom at this point! Take my old top to a top maker and say "Use this as a template!" Then have um make it out of that nice canvas top material with tinted plastic windows!! cool!!
    Good Luck
    Burt

3. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

Burt:

Thanks for the excellent info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I've been checking out Bestop's site almost daily to see if they have launched a SuperTop for the Blazers, and daily I'm disappointed. I've heard seen several complaints about the FasTrac, so I was holding out for BesTop.

Colorado has to be the worst place in the US to have a hardtop: it rains almost daily in the summer time (ok like 20 minutes) and it is usually too cold in the mornings to ride topless. If you have a softtop, you can ride covered in morning and topless in afternoon. The one time I left the hardtop off my Jeep for a day, it rained its a$$ off - amazingly the Park n Ride was the only place not to get hit!

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have never drove mine with the hard top (except for the day I bought it!).

My truck never got less drafty of more quiet after I bought the soft top. Maybe that is because I have still not installed it and is is sitting under my bead /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif .

Sorry. I have nothing meaningfull to say.

5. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

I've run soft tops and hard tops summer and winter -- not that much more noise (my exhaust is the big noisemaker - maybe I'll add a couple of more mufflers) -- heating as mentioned above is adequate.

I really liked the Bestop better than the Kayline. Bestop is more square (larger - longer) at the back - so it will lay on the tailgate when rolled back and I really preferred the on/off process with the Bestop.

I'll probably buy a new Bestop next spring.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Replacement hatches are available from at least one source I've heard of, and you could certainly "poach" one of a double-wall top that most people practically GIVE away....

Still a LOT cheaper than a softtop, and I'll bet a lot warmer too..... softtops are cool....I mean COOL in the winter. I think you'd be hating life in Colorado without a REAL hardtop for the winter months.

That's my $.02, and yes I accept PayPal!

7. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I installed a Specialty Top Co. snap top this summer and it was the best money I've spent on my truck. As for noise, it is now quieter then with the hard top and is 99% leak free which I couldnt say with my hard top. My heater works good and after about 10-15 min its comfortable in just a sweat shirt if not long sleaves in 30 degree weather. You can check out my pictures If you would like to see how it looks in black w/ black tinted windows. I think it looks better then the hard top too.

Evan

8. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I ran a soft top continuous for 4 years, it is a kayline made in 1985. Heater works good so after 10 to 15 minutes plenty warm. Alittle noisier esspecially on interstate and slapping at high speed. Around town and up to like 55 mph no problem. Definately driver than my hardtop.

also I am in Colorado. I think the soft top warms up quicker so it doesnt feel that cold. Back seat is bigger difference though.

9. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Do you have any pics of how it mounts in the front, by the windshield? I know you have to drill but I don't know where at.

10. aksidentproan

I could take some pictures for you this afternoon and get them posted for you.

Evan

11. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I ran a CJ-7 with a soft top for the 3 years I lived in Soda Springs, Ca up by all the ski areas. Wasn't a problem except during big storms. Then I had to go out and brush the snow build up off the top every now and then. Sometimes there was so much weight on the top it bowed in 6 inches. But it held up well to the abuse. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Yes I would appreciate that. My 72 top is in kinda bad shape and would take $$$$ to fix and I want to get a soft top anyways so i'm thinking of just getting that and pushing fixing the hard top back down the line.

13. aksidentproan

I emailed you the pics of the windshield frame.

Evan

14. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif