Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

soft top in the winter?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Aug 23, 2000.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Does anyone keep they're soft top on all year (in places where there is actually winter)? How does it hold heat (compared to the hardtop)? Can they hold up to an inch or two of snow?</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ask me in the spring, I plan on running mine year round, can't stand the hard top anymore.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

3. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I ran a Kayline soft top for 2 winters and it held up fine. I have had up to 6 inches of snow on it. When I scrape the windows off I just brsh the snow off. A little water comes in at the top of the door windows from melting but that happens with my hard top anyway. Windows of the top take a while to defrost. It does hold heat pretty well, Not as good as the hard top but good enough. Besides the jimmy has a raging heater.

70jimmy

4. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

I too am interested in this idea of replacing the hard top with a soft top. The water leak kinda concerns me cause I have a lot of stereo equipment in the back. What did you guys do with the back window btw?

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

My Kayline is sealed real well now. I had a small leak at the front track but that was in a Major Downpour going 60MPH on the highway. I have even went outside and sat in my truck (pretty boring) when it rained and did not see any leaks. If you get a Kayline, just seal the cab track to the cab with silicone and you are set. Also, try to eliminate any gap in the track on the top of the cab (track is 2 pieces for cab). Put some silicone near the seam where the two tracks come together and that should help.

Check out http://coloradok5.com/kaylinereview.shtml

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>