Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft top material

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cegusman, Dec 10, 2001.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I am going to make a soft to for my K5 but can't find the material. What is a cheap material that is also easy to find and somewhat waterproof?

Houston, TX

2. 1975k5

1975k5 Registered Member

My soft top is made of vinyl. Next spring I am making a bikini top for my 75 out of cordura. Kinda spendy, but you will never wear it our. Also, you may try canvas (like the military trucks and seats), convertible top material, cordura or vinyl. I believe any of these materials will do the job. Also, I would visit a boat shop and invest in stainless steel snaps for the body and top.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Can backs are made out of canvas. Kayline tops are some kind of vinyl, just like Jeep tops.

<font color=green>Oh man, 4:10's are sure better than 3.08's!</font color=green>

4. SKI-'84K5

SKI-'84K5 1/2 ton status

when you do this I would like to know, I am thinking about doing this myself, no matter how many times I mess up it's gotta be cheaper than a can-back or kayline, and either way my wife probably won't ride in it anyways.

5. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Cegusman &amp; SKI-84,

I have been thinking about it also for quite some time and I have found that at Hardware stores(Home Depot, Lowes)
    They have Canvas tarps in all kinds of sizes, For the K5 I think that a 10x12 would work. I have looked at the CanBacks design and thought of ways to make it work for cheap. I went and bought electric condut(sp) and I'm makeing a U type frame with runners of angle iron for the mounting surface to hold the frame and a place to put snaps. the Conduit cost $15.00 and the Tarp will cost about $50.00(they are Drab/Army Green)

Good luck in what you decide, I figure about $75 bucks and if it dosen't work then o well. Later KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/kensk5>My Picts</a>

6. 87superblaze

87superblaze 1/2 ton status

I used vinyl from a boat/uphoulstry shop. It cost me roughly $60 to make the soft top. It's a relatively simple design. I used 'male' snaps with metal screws around the cab. On the bed rails I used a 4"x6' piece of oak using the same bolt hole for the top and on the tailgate I used Heavy duty Velco that had very sticky tape on the backside. To keep the top from leaking around the cab I used weather striping. Never leaked yet! Here's a picture. This picture is after I tore it apart. I have new plans for the top.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/nicksm79>http://community.webshots.com/user/nicksm79</a>

7. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Can Backs are actually made from Sunbrella which is a fabric caommon in the awning trade. Its waterproof and UV resistent. Canvas wont cut it unless its well treated with some kind of waterproofing.

James

jimmy79@shaw.ca

8. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I went to an army surplus store and got my top materal. I got a 10 x 8 water proof tarp and it was about $45. are you going off some type if fram?

9. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I am not going of of a frame.

Houston, TX

10. WakeBoard&4X4er

Did your top ever leak? I am in the process of making a soft top for my K5 and would like to know how loud is your top on the Hw or down the road? I was trying to make mine out of a cut up hard top, tarp and a snap kit.
    thanks brett

11. 87superblaze

87superblaze 1/2 ton status

No my top never leaked. The only time I got water inside, it was because I was pressure washing the mud off. On the highway it is loader than the hard top but with mud tires its loud regardless. Besides, its well worth being able to go topless anytime you want or cover up if it starts to rain. I also never had a problem with it blowing off. I had the truck over 100 MPH and the top was just fine. One suggestion, Don't buy cheap material! You will end up replacing it with in a year or 2 if its not taken care of. I made that mistake only once.

12. WakeBoard&4X4er

Thanks for the info!!