Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft Top or Cab Curtain?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Aug 2, 2005.

?

What should I run for a top after I narrow the rear?

1. Soft Top

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. Cab Curtain

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. Other (please explain)

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I rode along with a fellow club member on a trail frequently used by the off-road club I'm in and all I can say is fullsize nightmare! It was fun, but there is no way my Jimmy is gonna get through that without some SERIOUS damage to me and the trees.

Since I'm gonna be wheeling in this area for at least 3-4 years, I've gotta adapt the vehicle...period. I'm gonna start out by tapering the back...and that'll mean (obviously) the factory top won't fit anymore.

Also, has anyone chopped and narrowed (without the glass of course) a factory tailgate? Should I go get a pickup tailgate and use that instead?
    I'm debating between a full soft top and a cab curtain, what do you guys think?

The soft top wouldn't be anything special, it would just run straight from the back of the roof to the bedrails and the back of the bed. Imagine the look of a military hummer and you know what I'm talking about. The cab curtain would be well...a cab curtain. Both would probably have windows, since I know someone who makes boat canvas tops professionally.

2. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Just Go Topless!

You need a full roll cage, then you can saw the roof off and go topless.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I guess it depends on if you plan to ever have anyone ride in the back. A cab curtain is not really an option for me since I have kiddos.

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The back seat is gone, there's a toolbox in it's place. I'm waiting to get the front and rear tapered before I do an exocage for roll protection. Nobody will ever be riding in back, and the eventual cage will probably slant downward towards the rear instead of a "family style" cage.