Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft Top Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4wheelin4Jesus, Jan 21, 2006.

1. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

I have a 78 blazer. I am just about to chop the top to make it fully convertible. The windows on the doors are like the newer models. They have the metal frame around them. I noticed that the older Blazers dont have them. I want to put a soft top on it. Do the older Blazers have a frame that goes around the window to secure the soft top to? If so, does the frame come off when you put the soft top down? Should i cut down the frame around my windows to make them like the older Blazers? Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

Did you start by reading the Technical Article about this procedure on this site? If you haven't I sugest you give it a look. they make it look easy..but there is a lot of cutting and rebracing.

3. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

Ya, sure did. The only problem with the article is that they show the finished product with a hard top. I was wondering what i should do to have the soft top in, and are the soft top window frames permanent, or do they get removed when the soft top is down? Thanks for your reply.

4. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Yes there is a support and it is removable.

DSC00711.JPG

5. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I'm looking to do this, maybe as early as spring. I have enquired about this a couple of times. What bracing is necessary, and what about the rocker boxes? Do you have any pics of these?

TIA

6. Blaze`

Blaze` Registered Member

how is it with side and rear window removed....

how is it with side and rear window removed and top up? Does it make a lot of noise and or get flimsy without the reinforcement of the windows?

I am in the process of finishing my floorboards/rockers then will buy the top. My guess is that the truck will probably not have doors or the side/rear windows on most of the year. Mainly just the full soft top as a full size bikini top. What are your thoughts?

thanks,

D-

7. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Just like having the windows down. Make sure your exhaust is done in a way that you do not get all the fumes in the rig. On the freeway I had to add some bungy cords to hold tension between the rear and middle hoops because the rear corner attachments sometimes come off and flap in the wind. I put my soft top on 3 years ago and have not takin it off for the hard top yet. I would recommend the denim over the vinyl though. The vinyl stretches to much in the heat and is a pain to clean. My neighbor got denim and it seems to be more durable.