Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft Top Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rad Tad, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Rad Tad

Rad Tad Registered Member

The temps are up and with a inop A/C, I've finally talked mself into a soft top. The best brand for my budget seems to be Specialty Top Co. but I'm having a hard time deciding betwen the Fasttrac top (p/n 552-310) or the Fasttrac cab curtain and tonneau (p/n 553-055). My truck is a 90 K-5 daily driver and I'm looking for some input on how other people like their tops that are of similar design. I'd like to know about any noticed water or gravel dust leaks, ease of installation/removal/in truck storage, and winter performance (I'm thinking of making it a semi-permenant instalation). Right now, I'm figuring the top will be used only if I get caught out in the rain. I want to get this thing ordered soon, so I can ditch the hard top weight! 300 lbs. left sitting in the yard has to help my MPG. Any input is greatly appriciated! Thanks!
    -Mike

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I have a fasttrac on my '72 and it is great. Of course, the cab curtain isn't an option for my truck. In my opinion, I like the looks of the full fasttrac better. The cab curtain makes it look more like a pickup. If you are only using it for rain and don't use the back seat, the cab curtain might be easier to put on/take off. You also wouldn't have to worry about the bows, installing the brackets or folding them down when not in use. It is also about $100 less, which could be handy.

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

herse mine installed again. i love it. 5 minutes on and off

if it rains really reall hard i might see a drop or 2 that is it

normal_DSCF0004~0.JPG

4. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

No passengers? Dog? If not go with the tonneau version.

What I like about the standard version is that you can have the sides up offering full ventilation without the sun screaming down on you. And I've even driven in some serious rain without the interior getting wet.

5. Rad Tad

Another Option...

My brother was looking online and found a fast back style of topper on
    http://www.soft-tops.com
    I'm really leaning towards this one. I looks like it would store easy enough, but still let me use the back seat if I wanted to.

6. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

man that looks like it would have some awful blind spots

7. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

I just put on the "snap" version of the Specialty top. Mine is the regular Blazer top. I like the top, and have no intention of going back to my hardtop. But if you do intend to use the hardtop at all, mine is certainly not "easily" removed.

8. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

just build one!
    :D
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179492

personally I like the full tops, I think the others make it look like a truck and take away from the whole K5 thing. Also if you plan on puttin a rollbar in it any time the soft top should still fit but the tonneau thing would not.
    gabe

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have the Fastrack and with a good rain it will let some water in. I run it year round with snow and all and have no plans to put a hardtop back on. I have no carpet and the floor is lined so the water does not bother me.

10. ucnu112

ucnu112 Registered Member

bump for my brother.

11. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

mine looks exactly like his!!! i love it.

12. Rad Tad

Well, I think I have finally settled on the full size fasttrac soft top (now if I just find the time to call my order in...). I'm thinking that I'll probably just leave the top up and zip out the sides in nice weather. Some of the other tops look good, but I think I'll be happier with the functionality of the full one. Thanks for the input everybody!
    -Mike

13. killerK567

killerK567 Registered Member

sweet man post up some pics of that fasttrac id like to have one myself

14. ucnu112

ucnu112 Registered Member

An update: My brother (Rad Tad) just called the company to see what was up w/ his top and they informed him that the manufacturer is going under. He'll be getting a refund shortly. I'm sure he'll be on later to post, after he gets off of work.

15. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Spec. top is going under!? I was going to get a top this winter.

16. muddybuddy

damn, i was thinkin about selling mine cuz i need money to build the doubler, but if they are goin under, maybe ill keep it a while longer:D

17. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

:thinking: Your in NOVA, I'm in Mont. Co. You still need to sell that top? Doubler is more important anyway, right. (wave hand, Jedi style)

18. muddybuddy

haha if it comes down to selling it ill let you know :) i love having it cuz i can keep the hardtop off all summer and then when it rains i throw that soft top on and everything is good

19. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I was also going to buy a stc top and just found out that they were no longer around and that the people who were going to possibly take over don't look to promising. So I am alittle disappointed. I also did some research on Can-Back a little while ago and was a little put off by the price ($1200!) but I did find out that if there was a group buy of five or more that they would reduce the price. Tops won't be ready for shipping until the first of the year, though. The Can-back is a superior product but the price is high. I was going to buy the STC because the price was half and it is also a great product. I am surprised that there is such a hole in the aftermarket community for this type of thing. I hear about people wanting this all of the time. Would you be interested in the group buy?

20. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

What type of discount? Would the discount get bigger as the order got bigger?