Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft top questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by redbullK5, Jan 31, 2002.

1. redbullK5

redbullK5 Newbie

I am looking into purchasing a K5 Blazer for hunting use. I was wondering if I wanted to take the top off during the summer would I have trouble getting it to seal back up in the fall? I would want to keep road dust and the bitter cold to a minimum. Are there any addtional costs to removing the top? Thanks in advance.

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

There should be no problems unless your seals are bad... the previous owner took thet op off my truck several times without any leakage whatsoever... you might wanna put some ky jelly so ive heard when you put it back on.

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 35" BFG Muds, CatCo Cat & Series 40 delta flow 3" tips.
    6"Springs, Tranny, & Engine coming soon.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If the seals are in good shape then no problem. On the newer models you will have to remove the side pannels and there is a bolt from the bottom side at the rear. just need the pannel out enough that you can reach that.
    There is a trick to putting them on. You want to slide it up in place and hold it up about half and inch and set it down so the outside seal will not roll under. Loosly install all the bolts. there is some play in the shell and you can slide it around till it's even on both sides at the cab and at the tail gate. You do need to have the ones at the front of the bed sides finger tight so it will put some down pressure and pull into the corner where the bed rail meets the cab but not tight. Push from the rear forward to get it seated agains the roof and B pillers.Tighten the ones on the back of the steel roof first and work you way back. Falure to do so may not let the top pull up tight to the roof and you will get a leak that will dribble in over the rail and down the side pannels.
    When you take the top off use a silicone based treatment such as STP Son of a Gun to moisten up the seals. Armorall is not as good as the STP stuff.
    Seals are available at the dealer and places like LMC, Year one, Golden state etc if yours are not in good shape. THe inner seal is usualy in good shape but the outer takes a beating from the sun. They are about $35 each. You will also need a good quality weather strip adheasive to install them.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

4. redbullK5

redbullK5 Newbie

Will I have any street legal issues with the top off?? I assume if any they would be state specific. I live in Iowa.

Thanks

5. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

I would be supprised if there were legal issues. It's a convertable. Just like a convertable car or heep.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds1" Body Lift W/ Energy Susp. Bushings