Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft Top Questions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Iluvchevy, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Iluvchevy

Iluvchevy Registered Member

Good evening everyone,
    New to the board here. Just wondering who all has a soft top on their Blazer? I want to get one for the ease of removal and because I have had problems with my back window since I bought mine. I have a 85 that I am about to get painted and all new interior. Thanks for any info.

Ed

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Good evening everyone,
    New to the board here. Just wondering who all has a soft top on their Blazer? I want to get one for the ease of removal and because I have had problems with my back window since I bought mine. I have a 85 that I am about to get painted and all new interior. Thanks for any info.

Ed

[/ QUOTE ] What color? What are you going to do to the interior?

Skyler makes a cool top that sits level with the bed sides and closes it off behind the seats. I think the full soft tops are funny looking. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

3. Iluvchevy

My blazer is black now, but I am either going to paint it dark blue or orange. I was wanting a black soft top...I have seen what you are talking about, but it would be no good for me since I have two boys that go everywhere with me. The interior is burgandy right now, but I am in the process of making it black. New seats, carpet, dash..everything.

4. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I like the BestTop (or however it is written). That is what I have. I have an older model and it is kind of weak in the zippers, but overall it works and is good. If you become a paying member there is also a discount I believe on some softtops. Check in the discount section on the main topics page. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. hatchetharry

hatchetharry Newbie

i have a bestop soft top on my 89. it's very convenient in the warmer months and it won't get that sag alot of soft tops get if you put it on right. you'll need about 4 or 5 guys to stretch it for the initial installation, then let it set for one hot, sunny day before taking it down. also, look into the tinted version, it looks way cooler

micah

6. Iluvchevy

[ QUOTE ]
    i have a bestop soft top on my 89. it's very convenient in the warmer months and it won't get that sag alot of soft tops get if you put it on right. you'll need about 4 or 5 guys to stretch it for the initial installation, then let it set for one hot, sunny day before taking it down. also, look into the tinted version, it looks way cooler

micah

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, if I decide to get it I am going to get the tinted windows. Just wondering if anyone had major problems with theirs, thanks alot.

Ed

7. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Ive got the STC one from offcamber4x4.com and I love it. I also have a Skyler and it is bad with kids and it lets water pool on it. I love the STC top I've only had it this year and just put the hard top back on but it was great. Only 2 complaints....Not enough sunny days to take it off /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif and when I took it off the last time I noticed that ablout 1" of the window was not sealed properly, but its on the back side so its OK. It survived the first snow with 2-3 inches and alot of rain this summer and never leaked.
    [​IMG]

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I love the soft top I have it's alittle chewed up from rocks and trees..... Thanks again marv (I bought it from Marv Springer).... This thing has an Aluminum frame that mounts to the body so no holes drilled into the side of the k-5 (should have on rear tailgate but working on making something to work there or just use velcro... [​IMG]

9. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

How bout those soft tops that only inclose the cab and bed, makes it look like a pick-up???? Anyone have one?

10. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

You wouldnt want to get rid of that Skyler top wouldjya? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Shoot me a PM if ya do. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

11. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup the can back is the most durable but also the most $$$$
    I run Full Convertable soft top for years now, don't even own a hard top /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    The Kayline/Specialty Top whatever they are called now is a good top but won't last more than 10yrs. The clear windows turn white and crack, the zippers will fail, get a snap repair kit you will pull them apart sooner of later.
    Other than that stuff my soft top seals out the rain better than my hard top everdid, 30 year old seals may have ahd to do with that hehehehee
    I will someday take my old Kayline top to a boat cover/awning shop and have them use this top as a template and sew me up a nice canvas top like the Canback(they don't make a full convertable type)!
    Soft toped rigs RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBC
    Ok More Coffeeeeee /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

13. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Craig,

[ QUOTE ]
    Engineer Designer (AutoCAD & Solidworks)

[/ QUOTE ]

Think you could engineer us a smaller version of that pic? I need two monitors to see it all and side scrolling line by line is very annoying!/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

15. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Craig,

[ QUOTE ]
    Engineer Designer (AutoCAD & Solidworks)

[/ QUOTE ]

Think you could engineer us a smaller version of that pic? I need two monitors to see it all and side scrolling line by line is very annoying!:)

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you pulling my leg on this one... When I look at it on my screen it smaller than 88jimmy4x4 pic's of the Can-Back Top

16. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It's small for me too, it displays about 3" x 3 1/2". /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

17. tRustyK5

18. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Thanks.... It was the pic from Skyler web site...

19. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

It's smaller that Stickseler & 88jimmy4x4 pics... Isn't it?

Mine are
    Size: 39860

Dimension: 450 x 300 pixels

and theres are both larger.....

20. tRustyK5

It's better now... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene