Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft top secuity?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnnieg, Mar 12, 2003.

1. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

I think getting a soft top would be awesome but I hesitate when I think of security. How do you keep your stuff inside safe (i.e. stereo, CDs, etc) with a soft top on? Are there any security features? (metal grid woven in fabric connected directly to battery /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would invest in a good alarm system first. They make ones that go off befor the thief can touch your ride.

3. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I never had a problem with my soft top, but like Paul said you could get an Alarm. For your stereo and such Tuffy makes a Console that locks and holds a radio or CB.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check with some auto security shops. There are motion detection units that can protect your rig. They will set off the alarm if anyone tries to get inside. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I have a Tuffy console in my '84. I like it lot, much more space than the stocker, kick-ass cup holders, and the CB/stereo slot, not to mention the pad on top /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. The only thing is it was damned expensive so if you can weld or know someone who can I would suggest building your own Tuffy clone.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

My stereo face plate comes off and then I dont leave anything in it to steal. Half the summer the top is off so I just try to make it obvious that there isnt anything there.

7. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

fact is if someone wants in your rig they will get in. those vent windows break out very easily. if you have a lot of $$ in a rig stereo system or somethig than an alarm might be helpful. i have a tuffy console in mine, the crow-bar length it would take to pry it open would hit the dash before any prying started! and a kill switch wired into the ground keeps it from being hotwired and taken for a ride...
    peace.
    HAYDUKE

8. manyblazers

manyblazers Registered Member

ground wire kill switch

I was wondering how you set up this kill switch. Which ground wire is it wired too? thanks

9. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to set up a mercury trigger to the front seat so when the theif sits down it'll go off, and where would you mount a motion detector to avoid false alarms?

10. BSav

BSav Registered Member

I went to the hard ware store and got a latch fot like a lockable shed door in you'r yard (the type that screw in from the outside then the latch covers the screws) I threw a pad lock on it and bolted it to the top and bottom sectin of the center concol. I throw my cd's and stuff in their when I leave. I also have a box over the rear wheel well that locks that i keep my tow strap and jack in.
    Also clean out youR truck so it looks like nothing worth stealing is in their. I wired a kill switch to mt dustriputar wire (not the park plug one) So you can't start it, she will run the starter but won't kick over. You may want to put a fule cot off switch in under the truck.
    An alarm sounds good so your radio wont get stolen. But durturance would be good also like a club even though they can be cut. The longer theif is in my truck in the parking lot the more timeit gives me to come out and scare him off or hit him in the back of the head with pipe.
    Hope this help's
    (sorry if I dont make sense I've been sick an on med's this week)

88 GMC, Jimmy rebult 350, chrome wheels, and 2.5 in wheel spacers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I have 3 custom lock boxes I keep tools CD's etc. in. I have a ignition kill switch and a alarm with a motion sensor mounted on top of my sub box that fits between the rear bucket seats. It works pretty good, except when it gets wet it goes off. I have the siren mounted up under the dash, which makes it almost painful to be in the truck when it goes off. If I could rig up pepper spray or a tazer I would. my [censored] got stolen when I had none of this and a hard top on, broke the wind window, theives suck.

12. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't be that concerned about the security differences when you go to softtop. Pretty much any Blazer with the electric rear window....I can be in in under 20 seconds. Just gotta reach under the bumper, pull the harness down, and use a piece of wire to jump two connectors and viola, the rear window is going down. I'm trying to come up with a good way to protect my speakers....my stereo is held in by enough crap that it would take someone a little while to even just plain rip it out, let alone steal it without hurting it. But, 4 screws and my 6x9s are gone....need to work on that....

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The motion detectors that I'm talking about detect motion IN the truck, not motion OF the truck. They work on the same principle as those radar style units that automatically open the doors at the grocery store. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif When something enters their field of view, they close a relay which sets off the alarm.

There are also pressure pads that can be installed under the seat upholstery. If anyone sits on the seat, it sets off the alarm. It would be pretty tough to steal your stereo or your truck without sitting in one of the seats. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif