Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft top security

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyjeff, Apr 1, 2004.

1. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

Since topless is the way to go now that summer is almost here, what security measures do you guys run when you have a soft top or no top. Reason for asking is some p.o.s. mangled my door the other day to get a 300.00 stereo. Should have left it unlocked and I would be better off.

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The best thing to do is have great insurance! there are tons of thing you can do to help keep your things yours. Talking with your nabors is always a good idea. keep an eye out in the naborhood. A good alarm helps, that have microwave sensers (since we're talking about topless), ignition kill, pager helps if your a light sleeper. Keep the place that you park well lite. Can't get this throught to people enough. Light is something most thiefts dont like they may be seen.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    A good alarm helps, that have microwave sensers (since we're talking about topless),

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean like a boat alarm? I see those Dock Cop alarms, look like car alarms but work on open air boats. Also my mothers husbands dad had a trick, he wired two momentary switches in the starter wiring. One was on dashboard , one was hidden under carpet next to dimmer switch. To start truck you had to turn truck on, hold down floor switch and bump the dash switch to start it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i've been in mental anguish over this one. I have a soft top, but fear that some fk will mess with it. I know someone will mess with it here in CA. As mentioned above, I guess insurance is the key as well as alarm. I may install it and see if I can sleep at night /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I remembered another Idea. I saw in an audio mag once where a guy took a early 80's factory 8 track am/fm radio and cut the front off to make a custom radio cover. No one would bother with the truck then I wouldn't think /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

I plan on a tuffy console for the radio and cb. Does anyone remeber that thing that would go around the column and lock? think it was made by mcgaurd or someone. We all know how easy it is to steal a gm car w/ a screwdriver

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

you can also use a starter cut out switch or a battery disconnect switch if you dont mind reseting your radio stations. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Also my mothers husbands dad had a trick, he wired two momentary switches in the starter wiring. One was on dashboard , one was hidden under carpet next to dimmer switch. To start truck you had to turn truck on, hold down floor switch and bump the dash switch to start it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

most peoples truck here you have to do stuff like that anyway

tap the gas, fiddle the switch, rattle the wire, ect

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Here is a microwave sensor:
    Invisibeam® Field Disturbance Sensor
    Generates two invisible detection fields around your vehicle, offering either a Warn Away® response or full alarm. Great for convertibles, trucks or any car.
    it is a add on to most alarms.

More info:
    The sensor uses an RF field to detect objects of sufficient mass that move within a defined area. An object intruding the “outer-zone” triggers the 1st stage output or “warning-zone”, such as siren chirps or the 516T voice. Intrusion into the “inner-zone” triggers the alarm.

[​IMG]

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you can also use a starter cut out switch or <font color="blue"> a battery disconnect switch if you dont mind reseting your radio stations. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't want to re-program your presets, run the memory wire on the deck strait to the battery. Just put a fuse on it befor conecting to battery.

Here is a good tip for the guys that disconnect their battery alot and dont want to loose their preset. go to Radio Shaft and pick up a 9volt battery plug. connect positive side to radio memory wire, the other gets end is grounded. Connect a 9 volt battery. Memory stays intake while battery lasts. I had a switch in my old truck to keep the trucks's clock from draining the battery down..... My mechanic in Southern CA was shocked when he reconnected my battery after rebuilding my trany and my stations were still locked in. a week and a half with the battery disconected...

11. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

1) good alarm.

2) no stereo

3) removeable steering wheel

4) removeable tcase shifter (leave it in N when not in use)

5) brake pedal lock

6) big chain run through ur rim and around the frame

7) big dog

8) big gun

9) keep it in the garage and add a light switch to its power circuit so you can cut it at night

10) get "the boot", like paid parking lots use so a vehicle cant go anywhere.

11) motion-activated lights/vid cam system for the garage.

12) add lojack or onstar to your rig.

presto, secure.

j

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1) good alarm.

2) no stereo

3) removeable steering wheel

4) removeable tcase shifter (leave it in N when not in use)

5) brake pedal lock

6) big chain run through ur rim and around the frame

7) big dog

8) big gun

9) keep it in the garage and add a light switch to its power circuit so you can cut it at night

10) get "the boot", like paid parking lots use so a vehicle cant go anywhere.

11) motion-activated lights/vid cam system for the garage.

12) add lojack or onstar to your rig.

presto, secure.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

How long would it take you to get to work everyday if its your DD when you have a chain, you have to re-install the shifter and steering wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. RClivin

RClivin Registered Member

Dont forget the Big Doodies that that big dog will make lol

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Dont forget the Big Doodies that that big dog will make lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha good point /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif