Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

soft top strength

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Apr 16, 2007.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

the soft top is a very attractive (maybe not appearance-wise) option for our trucks, since the hard top is no fun to remove solo and still a hassle with help. but the recent hailstorms in my area have prompted me to wonder just how tough the available soft tops really are. the jeep tops seem pretty stong. my friend's made it through the hail and a water balloon attack (that's aonther story) with only a few minor dimples in the plastic windows.

the water balloon attack was stupid. we were on the way home, about 4:30am, from a night of :saweet: and something hit the back of the jeep. we jumped out and found a small piece of a balloon. so, we went to my house and i drove the k5 to the same area. he trailed me by a few hundred feet, and sure enough, the idiot nailed my windshield (it was dirty, anyway). so, we both pulled onto the shoulder and shined out offroad lights into the wooded area. they hid, of course, but since i was expecting the hit, i was watching and was able to give the cops a description. idiot teenagers. i know it's been a while, but when i was that age, if i was in a park late at night, it was with a chick, not a sack of water balloons :D. this a$$clown has been doing this every weekend apparently. a guy in a sierra pulled up, knowing exactly what had happened, because he a week or two earlier, the balloon actually went into his truck, since his window was down. that's dangerous.

2. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I have the STC top. The main problem I have, as far as durability, is the windows scratch easily.

It should be able to handle a water balloon or small hail without a problem.

3. 1971 GMC Jimmy

1971 GMC Jimmy Registered Member

I have posted a thread asking who's in need of a 1st Gen (69-72) Blazer/Jimmy soft top.
    Search "New 1st Gen Soft Top" here.
    I have talked with a well known soft top company who wants to supply them, they want to see the interest.

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I've had ~18" of snow on the top of mine (when I had it). Hail would probably be no problem. Mine was a Bestop Tigertop.

5. chaser0517

chaser0517 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about the water balloon incident. I live in Weatherford? Whereabouts in Fort Worth did this happen???

6. chevyuser74

chevyuser74 1/2 ton status

my soft top has held up good, but some idiot put a whole in the rear window by shooting an airsoft bb at it when it was 30 degrees out, i was pissed.

7. 1971 GMC Jimmy

1971 GMC Jimmy Registered Member

What would make a soft top stronger and better, and what wasn't right with the tops that were made for the 1st Gen?

8. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I had a Kayline top on all year long for more than 4 years straight and plenty of times in pea size hail, 6 to 12 inches of snow, heavy rain etc. No problem other than the water would puddle in the low areas of the top so I would lift up and let it drain off.