Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

soft top suburban... pros and cons.. possibility...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Apr 12, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

what kinda work would this involve? i saw them chop up that ramcharger in petersons 4wheel & off road and i think it would be awesome to have a removable top just like K5s.

obviously i would be giving up my rear AC but i have doors, not a gate, how hard will this be?

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

That would be baddass, I like the burb that won the last TTC...

3. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I like this idea. Did you see the suburban that won top truck. I think a newer bodystyle would look just as cool. I would definitely make the body more complete though. I like when cuts are capped and made to look practically stock. Do it. The more you customize the more your vehicle becomes better than the average blazer/suburban.

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Loping the top off would be fairly easy...adding a removable/replaceable hardtop would be considerably more of a challange. It would be cool, but would require some good engineering/bodyworking skills. The barn doors sticking up in the rear might look a little wierd too. See if you can modify one in Photoshop to get the look you're after.
    Maybe something like this only longer.....<a target="_blank" href=http://jeepinjunkie.com/remodel/MVC-018F.JPG>????</a>

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I've seen it done once on a Sub that was rolling down the freeway. He had cut the barn doors to make the back wall. He didn't have a removable top though. He had made a short bed in the back.

6. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Scott, quit trying to be more like a blazer, you should give your sub more credit. lol. Dude, get another sub and do it because you have the barn doors and your sub has nice interior. Plus I bet your dad wouldn't even like the idea because I saw the look on his face when you mentioned it yesterday.

7. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

It would be really kick ass if you could make it work so a blazer fiberglass hard top would bolt on where the old top was cut off. Probably way too much work, but looks like it may be close to the right size with a little bit of engeneering it would be sweet. I bet if you chopped the top of the bed rails off a blazer and back of roof/ cab you could fit these on the sub with some body work. This way you could also get a soft top made for a blazer. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I have always wondered why they never did this from the factory since the hard top looks about the right size.

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yes it would be extremely awesome but i think i'll get another suburban to do it to, adam is right my interior is really nice still so i'll keep it that way, one day i'll have a soft top suburban just watch. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif