Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft top tears, anyone done their own repair?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Hello everyone,
    I just recently bought the engine out wakeboard&4x4er's rig, but before I left he talked me into buying his soft top too, and as we all know what happened to his rig. Well this top was on his rig when it met its untimely demise. Asphalt+ soft top=tears. I have about a 1/2 dozen tears to repair in the top. Most are small, but a couple are 6" long. Has anyone repaired tears in their soft top, or should I just take it to an interior or boat shop and let them repair it? If anyone has done their own repair, please specify how you did it and what products you used. TIA

Krennen

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

if you know anyone that can sew get them to sew up the tears and then put that leather repair stuff on the seams. That may work.

nick

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

There are a lot of varibales; type of material,where tears are, how bad the tears are, exc. You can use an old pair of jeans to cut out patches (added support to material).

My suggestion is that you take it to an uhpolsterer. Have them look at it and get a quate of the repair... Ask them how they will repair it and if they will stand behind their repair.....

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'd to the iron on type repair panels you can get at craft stores. Then you can use a sewing machine the do the double row stitch (whatever the ziz-zag stitch is), do that over the ripped area.