Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft-Top Update

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyUp, Aug 17, 2003.

1. JimmyUp

JimmyUp Registered Member

Update....

I just wanted to provide an update to those that have been patiently waiting, like myself, for Bestop to come out with a SuperTop for our 1st generation Jimmys/Blazers. Well, the news is not favorable as I learnd that a release to consumers has, once again, been pushed out. I don't know how accurate the data I received is but it looks like we are looking at the spring of 2004 at the earliest.

This is not optimal for me as I live in the Pacific Northwest and our summer will be ending in a month or so. I installed a larger lift recently and my Jimmy only fits in the garage with the top off so I need a soft-top by October but I don't know which direction to go.

Anybody heard of NEW soft-top options for our rigs or care to chime in regarding a soft-top they have that they are pleased with both from a functional perspective and also from a cosmetic perspective?

Regads,
    Scott

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

You can always go to an upolstry shop or a boat top shop and have one made. It will probably cost more than buying one of th Specialty Top Co or Bestops available. Personally, I have an old Kayline (now SpecialtyTopCo) and I like the fit & look. I do have snaps in the windshield frame and the tailgate though. Your welcome to comeover and take some dimensions if you want to try having a custom top made.

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I like my Fasttrac, now I'm in So Cal so the loose fit around the windows won't be an issue till later in the year, but I don't think it will be hard to get it to seal....

[​IMG]

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

JimmyUp,

Not to bum you out or anything.......but we've been hearing that story about 1st Gen softtops for at least 2 years!!!!

No company is going to flat-out tell you "No, we're not making a top for you and we never will".....they just say it in a nicer way "Spring of next year" or "Probably this Fall"....etc.

If you want one bad, and don't like whats available on the market now, just save up your $$$ and have one custom-made. I can guarantee by the time you pay for one, and get it made.....Besttop will STILL be saying "Spring 2005", "Fall 2005", and "Spring 2006".......

Mark my words! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup! I agree with Greg, nuttin but a marketing dance!

I have the old style Kyline(SpeciltyTop) too and it has been in operation for almost 10yrs. It is tired the windows are foggy the back window is cracked. I will eventually take this top to a custom shop and have them use it as a template to create a new one made out of that killer canvas stuff they use. Probly see if they can sew in tinted plastic for the windows too... I would guess that would cost me aroud 1K but it would be the last top I need for a looooong time.
    Good Luck

6. Big Sean E

Big Sean E Registered Member

I have an STC Fastracker, and after reading and viewing photos of unsatisfied consumers, and loose or ripped tops, I believe the two major factors in the tops performance lies in its installation, and the consumers use. I had the top professionally installed, and after being shown how properly, have raised and lowered the top numerous times without ripping, or becoming loose. I'm you just need an adjustment TONYP to tighten yours up. Mine's been through our harshest winter, and some nasty summer days without much fuss at all. Hope I helped. Fastracker is the way to go.

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Sean,
    your right on the fit, one side is a good fit on the window and the other is not...but it's more my doors then the top, the side that dosen't line up is because the door just won't line up to the truck anymore...hell, last time i went wheeling the hood was poped up about 1-1/2" on one side from all the flexing... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif