Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft top users.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nvrenuf, May 24, 2002.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

How do the various soft tops do with mud? Where I live we only read about rocks bigger than a baseball so I primarily play in the mud. Do the tops clean up well? Is any particular material or brand more prone to staining? I don't really intend to pile heavy mud up on it (I'll be swapping back and forth with the hard top) but I'm wondering about how it would do if I did put a coat of goo on it.

I almost forgot, I'll be getting a black top.

Thanks in advance!

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I dunno about the denim but I have a black vinyl And don't really get it too dirty but you just wash them off and I use a vinyl spray on cleaner and it shines up nice....Just make sure when cleaning the windows you use a WET cloth or you'll scratch them up...

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Trick is to keeping them treated with a GOOD quality protectant Specialty recomends 303 Protectant. I'm having a hard time finding it. All the companies use about the same fabric if not the same.
    The window are the big worry. Like Chevy said you really got to use care around them. Very easy to scratch. Get them good and wet and wash them with a sopping wet terry cloth. This will help the dirt float off so it doesn't get ground into the vinyl.
    The top you can take a soft brush to get the dirt off.

4. keeferk5

keeferk5 Registered Member

I will agree 100% with the above comments, your best bet is to wash the mud off while it's still fresh, the longer it dries, the harder it is to clean. I use a power washer on mine.

5. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

my top works good, when it is on!!!

6. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Grim- Do you have a West Marine in your area? they sell the 303 line of products. For your top you want to use 303 high tech fabric gaurd. For your plastic, and rubber you want to use 303 protectant. If you cant find it i would be willing to send you some at my cost plus shipping. I have a yacht and car detailing buisness and get it for a decent price. It would probally be cheaper than retail and tax.
    rugger

7. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Grim- Do you have a West Marine in your area? they sell the 303 line of products. For your top you want to use 303 high tech fabric gaurd. For your plastic, and rubber you want to use 303 protectant. If you cant find it i would be willing to send you some at my cost plus shipping. I have a yacht and car detailing buisness and get it for a decent price. It would probally be cheaper than retail and tax. You also want to be carefull of what you use on the windows since the plastic scratches easily as you know, washing it with soap and water and a car washing brush is your best bet. A cloth or a mitt doesnt lift the dirt away and will scratch it. It should also be treated with an antistatic cleaner this will minimize dust collection. And hydrate the plastic so it doesn't dry out and craze. You can use Novous which most harley dealers carry for windshields, or Mequirs plastic care line, cleaner #18 for every day cleaning. #17 and#10 when the plastic gets scatches in it, you can polish them out. you should never use window cleaner on the windows.
    rugger

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Don't know if I have a west but I'm pretty close to a major lake and plenty of boat places areound. I'll check with them and see if I can find it local. If I can't I may take you up on it. I have checked Auto ZOne, Pep girls and a couple smaller places and no luck.
    STC speaks highly of the stuff so I wanted to try it. Sounds like you like it also.
    Thanks

9. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

its the only thing i use actually, canvas and Isinglass are extremly expensive. One piece costs more than an entire Can back soft top. If anyone else is interested i should get a big price break on a case of it. Both types of 303 retails for around 14 bucks each (16oz.)
    rugger

10. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

hey rugger, I'm interested in that deal.Let me know more details.
    thanks,
    Ike

11. migs73soft_top

migs73soft_top Registered Member

Rugger I'm interested also bro. Finally got the soft top on so I better take as good a care of it as possible. Let me know the details and I'll do whatever.
    Thanks,
    Mitch

12. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I'll stop in a West Marine tomorrow and find out how much 16 oz bottles are. I usually buy it in gallon size in a case.