Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft Top w/o Rust Problems?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rooba, May 11, 2001.

1. Rooba

Rooba Registered Member

I have a question about going topless. The good thing is that here in Oregon it stays pretty warm most of the time... The bad part is that it's usually raining at the same time.

My concern is that drilling holes for the snaps will cause more access for rust to grab hold and I'm wondering if anyone has had that problem or knows of a good way to make sure it doesn't happen.... outside of drilling then repainting the whole thing. All comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Cpt. Rooba

2. MikeS

MikeS Registered Member

I've had a soft top on my truck for about 6 years. No problems with rusting around the snaps. Before I install the screw in part, I squeeze some silicone into the hole and onto the back of the snap. Seems to seal it up real nice.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ditto!! I second that! The best way is to squirt a dab of sillycone on each screw/hole while inserting the screw snaps to the frame. Works great!! I hate my hard top and will most likly never put it back on!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

4. Rooba

Rooba Registered Member

Thanks!!! I really appreciate the tips!

Cpt. Rooba

5. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

Hello Burt,

Seeing how you mentioned that you would most likly never put your hard top back on would you be willing to part with it? I am in need of one. I plan on waiting out the whole Kayline mess. So I can get a fast trak.

Thanks Lico

6. Crushergmc

Crushergmc 1/2 ton status

I'll trade you my excellent hard top for the 1/2 top you have.

"KEEP IT DOWN"
    70 Jimmy, 454, 2wd
    56 GMC, Big Window