Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

soft top with a roll cage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mostwanted, Apr 11, 2006.

1. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

Does anyone run a full cage (4 posts in the back) with a soft top? I would like a soft top that somehow incorporates the cage for attachment. With extra bracketry I don't think that I would care to see a jungle jim of tubing with a cage and brackets too. BTW, pics would be cool.

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

This is a good idea as long as you never want to go back to a hard top.

You would still need some crazy bends or "extra tubes" because the roll cage will have to fit inside the bedrails (and maybe the cab) and you want the soft-top to sit flush with the outside of the bedrails and the roof.

Or if you don't mind an "undersized" looking soft top, you could just have some material cut to fit whatever roll cage you have.

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

This past weekend I went and bought a bikini top/metal attachment piece for a Cj7 for $80. It fits over the back seat passenger perfect......this is the best pic I could come up with.

2087526860079350552LVPoMP_ph.jpg

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

The metal attachment piece or whatever it is called was screwed into the top of the cab, then the top slides into it and is rolled back and tied off with straps at the back.......does that make sense?

5. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I've been working this out on paper too lately. I picked up a used Kayline/STC top. It's the snap version, though I don't think it would make any difference.

Anyway I've only test fit the top, but I think you could pretty easily make it work if the cage fits within the confines of your hardtop. If not, picking one up used would probably be worth getting the main pieces (the header and rails) and having the rest custom sewn.

6. mostwanted

I am curious who would custom sew one? maybe a awning/ canopy company? Yes, I will build my cage within the confines of the hard top. I am quite a way from having the cage built, but I am working things out in my mind so I can get some sort of plan of action.

7. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Yeah sounds familiar! I have a full convertable roof and windshield and doors sitting in the shop too. But for the time being I figured I'd go this route.

I'm thinking about starting with two factory rollbars one in the stock location and the second at the rear. I recently read a post stating that there is a factory rear roll bar but I've never seen one. For me the roll bars are really more for a roof rack attachment than rollover protection.

A marine shop will be able to help you out or send you in the right direction.

8. mostwanted

I would feel a bit safer for my family if there was a cage while running with a soft top.

9. linksvu

linksvu Registered Member

Is there any additional word about the "factory" rear roll bar? I am very interested as well. I do not feel comfortible wheeling with a soft-top and without a cage back there for the fam.

Anyone seen a kit out there?

10. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

There is a factory roll bar, my 82 K5 came with one. It was located all the way back by the tailgate and is made of 1 3/4" tubing I think. It is attached to the floor in 4 places and actually looks pretty strong. Sorry I can't post any pics because I took mine of when I put in the full roll cage.

11. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I have the factory bar for my '73. It does not bolt to frame. Main hoop bolts behind front seats, and has support struts on each side running back to the wheel well. Enough to possible save you though. It's stting in my backyard since I installed a full roll to frame.

12. linksvu

I assume that fit under the hard-top as well as a soft-top, right? I would love to be able to find one of those....

13. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Yes it fits under the hardtop, if all you want is a rollbar behind the backseat it probably wouldn't cost too much to have it made by someone if you tell them that you are going to paint and install it yourself. If you bolt it to the floor remember to sandwich the floor plates.

14. linksvu

Hmm... good point. All I would like to do is tie in the roll-bar behind the front seats to a rear roll-bar with enough room for the hardtop and a soft-top.

Maybe I will look around and see if I can find someone to put one together for me.

Also, you are saying it is best to have the plates on the bottom of the rollbar bolted to the floor boards as well as a plate under the floor boards to bolt to, correct? That makes sence...good thinking:bow:

15. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Yeah that is good info thanks I wouldn't have thought of that and it's goin in this weekend! I love this site!

I would also love to get my hands on one of the rear factory rollbars. I checked E bay and the "For Sale" here on CK5 with no luck. A cage would be nice but I imagine it would get pricey quick without welding skills.

I had a 4x4 shop price out a custom bumper (all I want is a tube with a receiver) last week, they wanted $1000 ! Yeah right, I try to be polite but it's hard to keep a straight face when you know you are being taken advantage of.

16. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Look at the boneyards. I've come across a couple of factory rear bars. Tired to buy the first one I saw, but they had just sold it. Next one I saw I jumped on it for $25. Just mocking into place the factory rear bar is just above the rear window opening. The way it sits, it has two short support bars (same size tube as the main hoop) that go forward and bolt to the backside of the rear wheel tubs. So the rear bar sits at least 3" in from the gate and a inch or so in from the side/bed rail.

I'm planning to do what you are thinking of. Tie the two facory roll bars together with additional tubing. Then I'll get a front cage kit from smittybuilt to protect up front.

17. mostwanted

Can you come up with some pics?

18. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Just a quick update. I tried installing the front rollbar from a '73 - '75 into my '76 and it will not fit. It is close and would work with some minor adjustments in the stock location, but would require even more in the rear of the truck because it interferes with the gas filler neck. I'll post pics in a couple of days to show the tolerances.

19. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]Here's a pic of the rear roll bar. Don't have it installed yet.

20. linksvu

It looks like that bolts to the floor as well as the back of the wheel well, is that correct? Looks good though...