Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft Top?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by absolute, Nov 30, 2005.

1. absolute

absolute Registered Member

I have a couple of ideas for tops and one was getting a soft top and ditching the hard top but i was also thinking of going completely convertible (its a 84 K5) and getting a 73-75 soft top. (Has anybody done this?) I guess my question is right now i'm stationed in Washington and it snow's pretty heavily, is the soft top and frames strong enough to handle the snow & abuse?
    I also like the idea of cutting the hard top and making a small extended cab style and making it a pickup style!
    Any ideas or suggestions?

2. absolute

3. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

there's a whole write up on making a second gen truck into a full convertible on ck5.com - check that out. i would imagine you could make a full convertible soft top work just fine on that set up. Seems like a ton of work tho.

colby stephens.

4. absolute

I read that article, but I really don't want to put a 73-75 windshield on my truck, i just want to grab the plasma cutter and just cut away, if I go that route, and then just attach the soft top after I get the cage installed. So is the soft tops strong enough for snow and all around use?

5. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

From what research I had done while contiplating this same swap, It looks like you won't need to swap the upper windshield frame to go soft top. You could wack it off and cap it some way. The top would just attach to what's left of the top at the windshield. But, you would still need to cut and cap your doors and rear B-pillar. You would need the factory endpieces for the 73-75 doors to make it work. I have not done this, but I think it would work.

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

One of the guys here has done this. I think he is a vendor.

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

to answer your snow questions I can say the mine has had 10" of snow on it with no noticable effect other than the canvas sagging, and that went away as soon as the snow was gone. the bows were fine, no bending.

8. absolute

It's Kert from DIY4X that has the small cab on his K5. but has anybody done it or know how he did it?