Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Soft top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, Aug 20, 2001.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Have a question for anyone and everyone. Would you do a Can-bak or a kayline (STC) Fast trac. Black either way. I really don't need to store anything top, but would be nice. Daily driver, and weekend off-road. Which one is best for leaks, durability, fading, road noise, and best install?

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Canback would be anyones choice except its 500 bucks more [​IMG]

1977 K5 Blazer [​IMG]

3. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Yea, but is the 500 worth it. Hopin to here from people who have or have had these tops are their rigs.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

4. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

I run a Skyler Soft top and I love it, the only thing I did different was I took the rib they sent and ditched it and put solid plywood under it, keeps it from washing around in the wind. I had problems with a few leaks but manged to solve those and just keep a fresh silicone coat on it.

Veni Sancte Spiritus
    Da Pacem Cordium
    White Knight

5. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I had a Kayline (because I like the look of it best) but just bought a Can-Back from this site. I just didn't think the Kayline could last very long on my daily driver. The durability/quality was not worth the 450 bucks I paid for it. It is very cheap quality in my opinion although it is a very, very nice 'looking' top. The vinyl is too thin in my opinion, and the frame is not very strong at all.

Constipated people don't give a crap!

6. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Can you take off the Can Back and not have the frame up, or is it permanent once its installed? I'd like to have the full convertible look when the top's down.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

7. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

My Kayline has been on now for 13 months in the sun of Arizona. my k5 sits outside day annd night under no cover ever it won't fit no problems yet still looks new.

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I've had my Kline for a year and the only thing wrong with it is my wife, she was helping unsnap and yanked on the snaps and ripped one out but those can be fixed. It's just like anything else you gotta baby it sometimes, put a little silacone spray on the snaps or wax and take care of those windows and protect the vinyl. mine was well worth the 425.00, I've already got too use it for two summers.I live in Wa state, no top hot sun , wait whats that a sudden downpour, snap snap all dry. Besides they don't make a canback for full toppers and even if they did my truck needs lots of attention in other areas. With the money I'd spend on a canback I could buy an engine.[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Hey man, you're back!!!!!! Where you been? Been weird without you around.

Good to see you popped back up.

Kyle
    89K5

10. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you can take the frame off.

Constipated people don't give a crap!

11. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Wow , can't imagine all you folks missing me, its not like I'm a Banker or Loan officer or Minister.....but I appreciate it, yeah I got a real nasty bug, wiped the entire computer out, new ram, hard drive, video card. I've been reading on CK5 just not posting...don't ask why just don't know. Also been working on The K5 and drinking beer and off-roading....later ya'll

White Knight