Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

soft top ?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by lugnut, Apr 19, 2002.

1. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

I know its been talked about befor but I cant find the post. I am thinking of cutting the top off my sub. its a 78 and the body is not that good anyway. Now what I was thinking was a full removable top kinda like the hummer where the top would cover the frount and middle seat then drop down and leave the back open. How much suport does the roof give the rest of the body? I think it could work. Tell me what you think.

2. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

I forgot if I do this it will also need bigger tires. Is anyone running cutout fener flares? If so how much tire clerance did you gain?

3. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

If you put a roll cage all the way to the back it should be enough to support things.

I've seen the cut out flares on another Sub. He only has 35's. I think he can go with 38's.

4. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

How much lift was he running?

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

He was running a 4".

6. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

Did he have to modify the rear flairs or did they miss the rear doors? Seams like the frount of the flair would be close to the rear of the back doors.

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I'll have to check later. I can't remember.

8. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

this is muddysub, that was my post about doing a soft top, i'd love to do it but i'll get another sub to do that too. go for it i'd love to see it done.

9. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

Bought a sawzall and mig welder today. Now I'll figer it out on papper draw ten times cut once.

10. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'd love to see what you come up with. I have considered doing something like this for some time. Click below and check out my "thinking out loud" file. If you decide to do it take lots of pics.

Mike.

11. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Mike

I think the bobbed picture with the top on is Awesome. Just think of not having to drag my long butt end over every obstacle. We see toys bobbed like that all the time. The other one is cool too. I'ld like to see a crew cab on a burb body and a shortened bed. Good thinking.

tom

12. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

Nice pics Mike I'm thinking along those same lines. Got the AC system pumped out today,and removed the rear windows. Tom I also thought about the crew cab I think it would make a nice ride but I did'nt have one to part out so i'll try this.

13. Heavymetal

I would love to do mine, but my burb is still my "get my family+ stuff where they need to go" vehicle. So I need all the room I can get. If I could talk my wife into another burb for family outings, I would slice and dice mine in a heart beat. I would love to buy a 2wd and RICE it out for her, but she said, "HHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLL NO!" Anyhow take lots of pics if you do it. We are all dying to see some chopped burbs./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Mike.

14. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

No turning back now!!!!!! Removed the headliner cut the AC,speaker and domelight wiring. Cut the top even with where the frount of the rear windows were and at the back even with where the botom of the rear widows were. Pushed it off the back and let it fall should have closed the tailgate first it was so heavy when it fell on the gate it broke both suport cables.

15. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

the only problem I can see with bobing the back of a burban, is thats where the extremely large gastank that feeds the beast lives at. I'm going to chop the rear sheetmetal on mine a lot higher then it currently is, and remove the `spare tire carrier' dip in the floor, since no spare tire I own will fit in it.

I'll get pictures of it when I finish with it...

-Rich

16. Heavymetal

Go man go, take it off, take it all off!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif You are taking pictures right!?

Mike.

17. Heavymetal

It depends on which tank you have. On my frame (31 gallon tank) the rear most lip of the rear gas tank crossmember is about 15 inches from the end of the frame. My thought was to shorten the rear of the burb by about a foot. So you would still have room for the tank. You might also be able to move the tank crossmembers forward about 3 to 4 inches.

Mike.

18. Smurfmobile85

Smurfmobile85 1/2 ton status

You are awesome! I want to do the bob and make it a convertible too. Just waiting to see the best method and results. Tinkering with the thought of getting an old rusty body just to hack on. Got any pictures? I want to see what you've done so far.

Deana

PS Heavymetal, your thinking out loud pictures are exactly what I had in MY head! I gotta go make some of the Smurf now!

19. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

I am taking pics but I don't have a digital camra. I have a couple of problems to work out now. I want the top to end just behind the middle seats but the seat is past wher the windows were so I'm thinking of welding the part that was behind the rear windows on maybe even put the back glass in just roll it down in good weather. I would like to cut the doors even with the widow botoms but dont know how I could make top seal around them when they were up so I'll probly leave doors alone and just cut above them. I'm also not sure what to do with the tailgate its about 2 in. taller than the sides.

20. Heavymetal

For the tail gate you might be able to use one off a blazer, they are not as tall as suburban tail gates. Or if you are going to leave it open in the back all the time, you could use the tail gate off a pick-up. At least I have heard of other blazer owners doing something like that.

Mike.